Claudeth Martinez 1D

Ionic and Covalent

Postby Claudeth Martinez 1D » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:25 pm

Hey,

Does anyone know how I can tell ionic and covalent bonds apart? Thanks

Natalie Liu 4I

Re: Ionic and Covalent

Postby Natalie Liu 4I » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:27 pm

An ionic bond is between a metal and a nonmetal, and a covalent bond is between 2 nonmetals.

ellienelson4F

Postby ellienelson4F » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:32 pm

As a general rule of thumb, an ionic bond is between a metal and a nonmetal, while a covalent bond is between nonmetals. Remember that in an ionic bond one of the atoms will completely transfer an electron to the other in order to become stable (eg. in NaCl the one valence electron in sodium's outer shell is lost to chlorine to fill chlorine's outer most orbital). In a covalent bond, electrons are shared between the atoms (think of Lewis structures and how the lines connecting the atoms represents a shared pair of electrons).

Tessa Lawler 1A

Postby Tessa Lawler 1A » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:38 pm

2 main ways:
1- covalent is between 2 nonmetals. Ionic is generally between nonmetal and metal.
2- covalent bond is the sharing of electrons between two atoms/molecules i.e. they both share one pair of electrons to complete their valence shell. Ionic bond is the giving of electrons from one atom/molecule to another. So, one atom/molecule could give two electrons to an atom/molecule that needs two electrons to complete their valence shell. That way, they'd both have a full valence shell.

Return to “Ionic & Covalent Bonds”