Ideal lewis structure with Formal Charge

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

keyaluo4C

Ideal lewis structure with Formal Charge

Postby keyaluo4C » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:48 pm

How do you know what the ideal Lewis Structure is when there are many different ways of calculating the formal charge? Is it mostly trial and error?

Emily Kennedy 4L
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Ideal lewis structure with Formal Charge

Postby Emily Kennedy 4L » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:51 pm

It all depends on what combination you can create with the lowest formal charge. If you have a lewis dot structure that should have a neutral charge and each atom has a negative 1 charge and a positive 1 charge that is not going to be as ideal as a lewis structure that has all neutral charges.

megansardina2G
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby megansardina2G » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:55 pm

Hi! So most of the time, the ideal lewis structure forms when all atoms in the molecule have a formal charge of 0. If this is not possible, then the formal charge should be the lowest possible option (closest to net of 0). When there needs to be a charge, the negative charge should be placed on the more electronegative molecule. For example, take N2O with N as the central atom. The central N atom forms a triple bond with N and single bond with O as opposed to a double bond with both, since that places the negative formal charge on the N rather than the O, which is more electronegative. There is some form of trial and error, but you should be able to narrow it down a bit. Hope this helped!

Lia Inadomi 1I

Postby Lia Inadomi 1I » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:16 pm

Does only the net formal charge matter? Or do you also have to account for each atom as well?

Courtney McHargue 1I

Postby Courtney McHargue 1I » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:19 pm

To find the most ideal lewis structure you want to create one where the base element, or element in the center of the structure, has a formal charge of 0. If the overall molecule is an ion with a charge, then try to have the outer elements which are connected to the main base be the ones that carry the positive or negative charge for the molecule as a whole.

Return to “Formal Charge and Oxidation Numbers”