Electronegativity vs. Electron Affinity?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Chloe Thorpe 1J

Electronegativity vs. Electron Affinity?

Postby Chloe Thorpe 1J » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:36 pm

Is one dependent on the other? I know they follow the same trends but I don't quite understand the difference between the two.

mbaker4E

Re: Electronegativity vs. Electron Affinity?

Postby mbaker4E » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:50 pm

Electronegativity is how well an atom can attract electrons towards itself while electron affinity is the amount of energy released when an electron is added to an atom.

Fanny Lee 2K

Postby Fanny Lee 2K » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:19 am

If an element has a high electronegativity, does that mean it has higher electron affinity?

Linh Vo 2J

Postby Linh Vo 2J » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:51 am

[censored] Lee 4G wrote:If an element has a high electronegativity, does that mean it has higher electron affinity?

I believe so because for one of our practice questions, the answer was something along the lines "If an element has a high ionization energy and a higher electron affinity, it is also highly electronegative." Based on this logic, then yes I believe that a high electronegativity does constitute a higher electron affinity because they follow the same trend.

EllerySchlingmann1E

Postby EllerySchlingmann1E » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:07 am

The trends for ionization energy, electron affinity, and electronegativity are all the same. Electronegativity and electron affinity are very similar, but one major distinction is the fact that electron affinity of an atom doesn't change while its electronegativity can depending on how it is bonding with other atoms.

Michael Nirula

Postby Michael Nirula » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:43 pm

Electronegativity is more conceptual because it refers to how well an element attracts an electron, but electron affinity is an actual value of the energy released when an electron is added.

Nawaphan Watanasirisuk 3B

Postby Nawaphan Watanasirisuk 3B » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:09 am

They are related because if an element has a tendency to take electron (high electron affinity), then it would take a lot of energy to remove one from that element, since the element likes/tends to gain an electron rather than lose an electron. This follows the trend that elements on the right on the periodic tables, which tends to gain an electron to fill their octet, have both higher electron affinity and ionization energy. Hope this helps!

Liza Hayrapetyan-3K

Postby Liza Hayrapetyan-3K » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:46 pm

I'm confident the answer above mine is correct.

Tony Chung 2I

Postby Tony Chung 2I » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:59 pm

Electronegativity and electron affinity are different. Electronegativity is how well the electrons are attracted to an atom, and electron affinity is the amount of energy needed to release an electron.

Sydney Tay 2B

Postby Sydney Tay 2B » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:04 pm

Electronegativity is how well an atom can attract electrons towards itself. Electron affinity is the amount of energy released when an electron is added to a neutral atom to form a negative ion.

chrischyu4a

Postby chrischyu4a » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:49 pm

Basically electron affinity is the amount of energy that is released when an electron is added to an atom while electronegativity is an atom's ability to attract electrons

Shutong Hou_1F

Postby Shutong Hou_1F » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:08 am

Linh Vo 2J wrote:
[censored] Lee 4G wrote:If an element has a high electronegativity, does that mean it has higher electron affinity?

I believe so because for one of our practice questions, the answer was something along the lines "If an element has a high ionization energy and a higher electron affinity, it is also highly electronegative." Based on this logic, then yes I believe that a high electronegativity does constitute a higher electron affinity because they follow the same trend.

I think that the overall, general trends are the same. However, Fluorine has the highest electronegativity, whereas Chlorine has the highest electron affinity.

Return to “Trends in The Periodic Table”