Formal Charge

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

harperlacroix1a

Formal Charge

Postby harperlacroix1a » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:07 pm

Should the formal charge for a Lewis structure ever not be equal to zero? Is something for sure wrong with the structure if the formal charge not equal to zero?

bonnie_schmitz_1F
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Formal Charge

Postby bonnie_schmitz_1F » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:21 pm

Well in a lot of cases not all of the atoms can have a formal charge of zero. In Lewis structures, I think we want as many atoms to have a formal charge of 0 as possible, but its especially important that the central atom have a formal charge of 0. Additionally there are only a few atoms that can have more than 8 electrons around the outside. These atoms are Sulfur and Phosphorus.

Anusha 1H

Postby Anusha 1H » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:24 pm

In some cases, the formal charge will not be equal to zero.
In looking for the most stable lewis structure, though, we should be looking for the structure that has the most individual formal charges close to 0.

katie_sutton1B

Postby katie_sutton1B » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:27 pm

Ions will have to have a formal charge, but that could be stated in the chemical formula given. For example, BrO- will have a formal charge of -1. There will be 6 lone pairs on Br, a covalent bond to O, with 6 lone pairs on O. This gives Br a formal charge of 0, and O a formal charge of -1. (FC = valence electrons - # of dots and lines)

Imelda Mena 3I

Postby Imelda Mena 3I » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:44 am

Are negative formal charges more preferable in terms of stability over positive formal charges?

Imelda Mena 3I

Postby Imelda Mena 3I » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:48 am

bonnie_schmitz_3K wrote:Well in a lot of cases not all of the atoms can have a formal charge of zero. In Lewis structures, I think we want as many atoms to have a formal charge of 0 as possible, but its especially important that the central atom have a formal charge of 0. Additionally there are only a few atoms that can have more than 8 electrons around the outside. These atoms are Sulfur and Phosphorus.

Why is it especially important that the central atom have a formal charge of 0?

anishathomas

Postby anishathomas » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:14 pm

There are some instantances where formal charge does not equal zero. It would be preferable if the central atom has one of zero, but if it isn’t and you made sure that you have drawn the Lewis structure with the lowest energy,and you still have a formal charge of negative one, then it can happen

Maria Nabagala 3E
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Maria Nabagala 3E » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:56 pm

In most cases you want your formal charge to equal to zero, however, there are times when the formal charge will not equal to zero. That doesn't mean you're wrong

Return to “Formal Charge and Oxidation Numbers”