Double Bonds

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Kristen Kim 2K

Double Bonds

Postby Kristen Kim 2K » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:28 pm

After drawing the basic Lewis structure for a compound and calculating formal charges, how do you know when to add a double bond and how many of them to add?

Reva Kakaria 1J
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Double Bonds

Postby Reva Kakaria 1J » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:50 pm

You should add a double bond if it lowers the formal charges, since the most stable Lewis structure for a molecule is the one with the smallest formal charges on each atom. The number of bonds depends on which specific Lewis structure you're drawing, but in general you should never have more than three bonds between two atoms.

Eunice Lee 1A

Postby Eunice Lee 1A » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:03 am

You can use a double bond to change the formal charge on an atom (if it's not zero/stable) or if there are not enough electrons in the molecule.

Tinisha 1G

Postby Tinisha 1G » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:49 pm

You need to check the formal charges of the atoms. The number of electrons drawn might be correct, but it will not be the most stable lewis structure until you make the formal charges as low as possible. A double bond can make the formal charges lower.

Ian Marquez 2K
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Ian Marquez 2K » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:05 am

Just to reiterate, after all electrons are accounted for and single bonds are made, formal charges can then be calculated. This will indicate whether a double bond or even a triple bond should be made to lower formal charges. As you do more Lewis structures, patterns with certain elements, such as oxygen wanting to form a double bond while having two lone pairs, will become more apparent and adding double bonds will become easier.

Jasmine Chow 1F
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Jasmine Chow 1F » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:50 pm

I usually check to see if a double bond is needed through the formal charges or through the pairs. If there is an odd number and there is a single lone electron I usually find a way to make it a double bond. Formal charges are the best way to check if another bond is needed.

Zubair Ahmed 1L

Postby Zubair Ahmed 1L » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:07 pm

I typically include double bonds to lower the formal charge of the an element. It is important to remember to not exceed 4 bonds per element unless the element can have an expanded octet such as sulfur and phosphorous.

Postby 005115864 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:19 pm

Hi ! I kind of see this as a game of seeing what best works. "What best works" is determined by the formal charge. That is to say, if the formal charge of EACH individual element is close to zero then it is MOST stable. However, if the molecule as an entirety has a charge, you would want the charge to be applied to the most electronegative element. In addition to that, you want to be able to add up all the charges and get the overall charge. For example, if the overall charge is -1, you can get an element with a-2 charge and another with a +1 charge, you can add them together and get an overall -1 charge. HOWEVER, that doesn't mean it is most stable. As such, I recommend you refer to these rules when determining the most stable structure.

Return to “Lewis Structures”