Bonds in Water

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

paytonm1H

Bonds in Water

Postby paytonm1H » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:50 pm

Can someone please explain the difference between the covalent and hydrogen bonds in water? Thanks!

Sean_Rodriguez_1J

Re: Bonds in Water

Postby Sean_Rodriguez_1J » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:02 pm

The difference between the two is that the covalent bonds of the water molecule occur within the molecule whereas the hydrogen bonds are intermolecular forces. Specifically, between the two hydrogen molecules and the O atom in a water molecule, there is an unequal sharing of the electrons due to the high electronegativity of oxygen, which creates a polar covalent bond that gives the water molecule its polarity. Hydrogen bonding in water occurs because of the attraction between the lone pairs of electrons on the O atom and the partial positive charge of a hydrogen atom of another water molecule. This happens between water molecules, making it different from the covalent bonds that occur within the same water molecule.

Hovik Mike Mkryan 2I

Postby Hovik Mike Mkryan 2I » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:05 pm

Hello,
To my understanding the intermolecular hydrogen bonds in the water are attached with the O and H bonds and do not separate and surround the other ions that are present in the water. The O bonds with the positively charged ions while the H bonds with the negatively charged ion. Hope this helped!

John_Richey_4A

Postby John_Richey_4A » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:23 pm

Hydrogen bonds are bonds outside of the molecule itself, so multiple molecules can be hydrogen bonded but still be different molecules. If something is covalently bonded, that results in an entirely different molecule.

Manya Kidambi 3I

Postby Manya Kidambi 3I » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:19 pm

Hydrogen bonds are involved in helping water molecules bond to other water molecules.
Covalent bonds are actually within the water molecule and bond the Hs and Os together.

Postby 404817859 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:28 pm

Covalent bonds are the bonds between the atoms within the same water molecule. Hydrogen bonds are the bonds between two water molecules.

Return to “Bond Lengths & Energies”