Covalent character and Electronegativity

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jeannine 1I

Covalent character and Electronegativity

Postby Jeannine 1I » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:52 pm

How does electronegativity relate to greater covalent character when comparing 2 molecules?
For example, between KCl and CsCl, which one has the greater covalent character? And why? Does electronegativity explain it?

Margaret Akey

Re: Covalent character and Electronegativity

Postby Margaret Akey » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:11 am

According to electronegativity trends, Cs has a lower electronegativity value than K, so the difference between Cs and Cl is greater than the EN difference between K and Cl. In this case though, the difference is so great that both KCl and CsCl will be ionic, with CsCl having greater ionic character.

Technically, KCl would have greater covalent character than CsCl, but would still be ionic.

Electronegativity does explain it! The difference in electronegativity between two molecules will lead to conclusions about covalent/ionic character
differences closer to 0 => greater covalent character
differences = 2 and over => greater ionic character

Jeannine 1I

Re: Covalent character and Electronegativity

Postby Jeannine 1I » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:09 am

Margaret Akey wrote:According to electronegativity trends, Cs has a lower electronegativity value than K, so the difference between Cs and Cl is greater than the EN difference between K and Cl. In this case though, the difference is so great that both KCl and CsCl will be ionic, with CsCl having greater ionic character.

Technically, KCl would have greater covalent character than CsCl, but would still be ionic.

Electronegativity does explain it! The difference in electronegativity between two molecules will lead to conclusions about covalent/ionic character
differences closer to 0 => greater covalent character
differences = 2 and over => greater ionic character

Wow that explanation was so clear and helpful! Thank you so much!:)

Return to “Ionic & Covalent Bonds”