ClO2+

(Polar molecules, Non-polar molecules, etc.)

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

aaronharouni
Posts: 72
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:15 am

ClO2+

Postby aaronharouni » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:26 pm

Why does the electron pair on central Cl atom of ClO2+ result in a trigonal planar arrangement?

904901860
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:16 am

Re: ClO2+

Postby 904901860 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:22 pm

its molecular shape is trigonal planar because there are two atoms attached to the central atom, but the electron pair arrangement would be bent since there are two lone pairs and therefore the atoms are repulsed from the lone pairs creating a bent shape

Ray Guo 4C
Posts: 90
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:15 am

Re: ClO2+

Postby Ray Guo 4C » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:27 pm

Shouldn't the molecule be linear? If the chlorine atom has two lone pairs and two bonding pairs.

Destiny Diaz 4D
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:28 am

Re: ClO2+

Postby Destiny Diaz 4D » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:48 pm

I understood the shape to be angular from the solutions but I don't understand why.

Destiny Diaz 4D
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:28 am

Re: ClO2+

Postby Destiny Diaz 4D » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:50 pm

Destiny Diaz 4D wrote:I understood the shape to be angular from the solutions but I don't understand why.

I believe that because the steric number is four and since there are two lone pairs then the shape is angular but I still am slightly confused.

Esther Lee 4H
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:29 am

Re: ClO2+

Postby Esther Lee 4H » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:42 am

ray_guo wrote:Shouldn't the molecule be linear? If the chlorine atom has two lone pairs and two bonding pairs.


if there are two lone pairs and two bonding pairs it should be bent. I know it sounds weird bc the two bonding and lone "cancel" each other out but if you think about it, we all know the shape of H2O to be bent even though it has 2 lone pairs and 2 bonding. my TA said in discussion today that even though technically it should cancel out, it was geometrically found to repel each other resulting in a bent shape. so ClO2+ should be a bent shape.

here's a chart I find useful in determining shape:
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/8c/76/d0 ... bf7f24.png

Ray Guo 4C
Posts: 90
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:15 am

Re: ClO2+

Postby Ray Guo 4C » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:27 pm

Esther Lee 4D wrote:
ray_guo wrote:Shouldn't the molecule be linear? If the chlorine atom has two lone pairs and two bonding pairs.


if there are two lone pairs and two bonding pairs it should be bent. I know it sounds weird bc the two bonding and lone "cancel" each other out but if you think about it, we all know the shape of H2O to be bent even though it has 2 lone pairs and 2 bonding. my TA said in discussion today that even though technically it should cancel out, it was geometrically found to repel each other resulting in a bent shape. so ClO2+ should be a bent shape.

here's a chart I find useful in determining shape:
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/8c/76/d0 ... bf7f24.png


Thank you!

Tinisha 1G
Posts: 69
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:17 am

Re: ClO2+

Postby Tinisha 1G » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:37 pm

This molecule has a bent shape. There are three electron densities and one lone pair, making the molecular shape bent.


Return to “Determining Molecular Shape (VSEPR)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests