Oxidation number

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Ricky Ma DIS 4E

Oxidation number

Postby Ricky Ma DIS 4E » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:24 pm

How do I find the oxidation number of a complex?

Brian Cook

Re: Oxidation number

Postby Brian Cook » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:31 pm

The sum of the oxidation numbers in atoms of a neutral compound is always 0, and the sum of the oxidation numbers in a polyatomic ion is equal to the ion's charge. So you would look at the charges of the individual atoms and that would be their oxidation numbers. Free elements, such as C by itself, always have an oxidation number of zero. HCl would be H (+1 oxidation number) and Cl (-1 oxidation number).

Hedi Zappacosta 1E

Postby Hedi Zappacosta 1E » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:44 pm

basically, if you have a transition metal as your central atom and you need to find its oxidation state, then you add up the oxidation numbers of all the atoms attached to it and subtract it from the total charge of the molecule.

Desiree1G
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Desiree1G » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:50 pm

I'll do an example so hopefully, it makes more sense. Take for instance, [Fe(CN)6]^(4-) --hexacyanoferrate (II) ion (note 6 is a subscript). Note that transition metals charge vary. I usually start by putting an X to represent "unknown" for my metal which is Fe. So, I have: X+(-1)6= -4. The -1 is the charge of CN and the -4 is the charge outside the []. Now we solve for x which is -2 and that would be the oxidation number:)

Return to “Shape, Structure, Coordination Number, Ligands”