Water with Acids and Bases

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Tiffany_Cacy_3D

Water with Acids and Bases

Postby Tiffany_Cacy_3D » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:55 pm

So i know several elements can act as both an acid and a base such as water but how do you tell when a water should act as an acid or a base. When do you know when it should give up or accept electrons? Also does water affect the likelihood of certain compounds being stronger or weaker acids or bases?

WilliamNguyen_4L

Re: Water with Acids and Bases

Postby WilliamNguyen_4L » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:13 pm

Water is an acid when it reacts with a base and it is a base when it reacts with an acid. I don't think water affects whether the acid or base it reacts with completely dissociates or not.

Sophie Roberts 1E

Postby Sophie Roberts 1E » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:01 pm

You will know if water acts as an base or an acid based off of what compound it is reacting with. If it is reacting with a base, it will act as an acid and donate protons; however, if it is reacting with an acid, it will act as a base and accept protons. And I believe the strength of an acid/base doesn't depend on what compounds they are reacting with, it is an individualistic characteristic.

JiangJC Dis2K

Postby JiangJC Dis2K » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:06 pm

Water is amphoteric so it can act as either an acid or base, therefore it depends on the other compound involved in the reaction with water to determine water's behavior.

Return to “Bronsted Acids & Bases”