Naming a Compound

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Megan Gianna Uy 3L

Naming a Compound

Postby Megan Gianna Uy 3L » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:57 pm

What are the rules to naming a compound and in what order do you write the element names?

EllerySchlingmann1E

Re: Naming a Compound

Postby EllerySchlingmann1E » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:06 pm

Hi,

Sorry, this doesn't answer your question but I have a similar question so I figured I would add it to this thread. In the textbook, the naming of the compound says to drop the ending of ions and add "-ato" for -ate ions, "-ido" for -ide ions and "-ito" for -ite ions; for example, nitrite would become "nitrito." But in lecture, Professor Lavelle said to drop the ending and simple add "-o" so chloride would be chloro. I'm confused as to which convention we should be using/studying. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

aisteles1G

Re: Naming a Compound

Postby aisteles1G » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:30 pm

Ellery_Schlingmann_3G wrote:Hi,

Sorry, this doesn't answer your question but I have a similar question so I figured I would add it to this thread. In the textbook, the naming of the compound says to drop the ending of ions and add "-ato" for -ate ions, "-ido" for -ide ions and "-ito" for -ite ions; for example, nitrite would become "nitrito." But in lecture, Professor Lavelle said to drop the ending and simple add "-o" so chloride would be chloro. I'm confused as to which convention we should be using/studying. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

chlorine would be chloro when its in the middle of the name, not at the end, if its outside of the brackets (the complex) and at the end just put chloride. Also, elements outside the brackets do not get prefixes, you just write the element name either before or after the complex name depending if the element outside the brackets comes before or after the brackets. If for example outside the brackets it's Cl3 you still just write chloride but the charge on it is -3 which you have to indicate with roman numerals in the name. (-1 Cl charge * 3= -3) but make all the charges in the complete compound equal zero. For example Cl3[co(SO4)2], the cl has -3 charge, the sulfate has -2 * 2= 4 so to find the charge/ oxidation number find what charge is needed to add them to zero : -3 + 4= 1 so the roman numerals would be (I) after the complex ligand name. Also, its not just alphabetical naming for ligands, the neutral ones go first! Thats why cobalt goes at the end sometimes even though it starts with C because it is usually not neutral.

Return to “Naming”