Reaction Quotient

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Samantha Chung 4I

Reaction Quotient

Postby Samantha Chung 4I » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:57 am

As I was completing the reading section, I noticed that there was a "reaction quotient" - what is the difference between this sand the K value?

Emma Scholes 1L

Re: Reaction Quotient

Postby Emma Scholes 1L » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:08 am

K is used to describe a reaction at equilibrium. The reaction quotient is used to describe a reaction that is not at equilibrium. If the reaction quotient is equal to K, you know that the reaction is at equilibrium.

Becky Belisle 1A

Postby Becky Belisle 1A » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:21 am

The reaction quotient still has the same formula as the equilibirum constant, except for the equilibrium constant the values used are the ones at equilibrium.

Chris Freking 2G

Postby Chris Freking 2G » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:20 pm

K refers to the [P]/[R] ratio at equilibrium. Although Q also refers to the [P]/[R] ratio, it can be measured at any point in time in a reaction--including equilibrium.
If Q<K, then the forward reaction (products forming) is favored.
If Q>K, then the reverse reaction (reactants forming) is favored.
If Q=K, then the reaction is at equilibrium and reactants and products are being formed at equal rates.

megan blatt 2B

Postby megan blatt 2B » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:24 pm

Going off of the previous comments, Q is the reaction quotient which is calculated the same way that K is. However, K is used once the reaction has reached equilibrium while Q is used for any other point in the reaction while it is reaching equilibrium.

Jonny Schindler 1A

Postby Jonny Schindler 1A » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:29 am

Both K and Q represent the ratio of products to reactants, but using Q implies that the reaction is not at equilibrium and the ratio will shift until equilibrium is reached. At this point, the ratio is represented as K

Return to “Non-Equilibrium Conditions & The Reaction Quotient”