Percentage Ionization

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Miya Lopez 1I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Percentage Ionization

Postby Miya Lopez 1I » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:56 pm

Can someone explain to me what percentage ionization means? In the example Dr. Lavelle did in class today, he asked what is the pH and percentage ionization of acetic acid in 0.10 M Ch3COOH?

Miya Lopez 1I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Percentage Ionization

Postby Miya Lopez 1I » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:01 pm

Also, what does it mean to be "completely ionized"?
In class Dr. Lavelle stated that "Ba(OH)2 (aq) is a strong base, essentially completely ionized."

Emily Ng_4C

Postby Emily Ng_4C » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:03 pm

Percent ionization shows how much something dissociated. It can be calculated by taking the concentration of its ions divided by the original compound and multiplied by 100. For instance, weak acids will have a varying percent ionization because only a small percent of it will dissociate. Percent ionization is helpful because it affirms whether something is a strong or weak acid/base. A high percentage means higher dissociation and a lower percentage means lower dissociation.

Emily Ng_4C

Postby Emily Ng_4C » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:04 pm

Miya Lopez 1I wrote:Also, what does it mean to be "completely ionized"?
In class Dr. Lavelle stated that "Ba(OH)2 (aq) is a strong base, essentially completely ionized."

To completely ionized means to completely dissociate. For instance, BaOHsub2 will dissociate completely into Ba2+ and OH-

Heesu_Kim_1F

Postby Heesu_Kim_1F » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:05 pm

Percent ionization refers to the amount of a weak acid that exists as ions at a particular concentration. It can be calculated with the formula: % ionization = (acid ionized/initial acid) x 100%. Hope this helps!

Return to “Non-Equilibrium Conditions & The Reaction Quotient”