How to draw curved arrows?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Christopher Phung 3G

How to draw curved arrows?

Postby Christopher Phung 3G » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:17 pm

I'm a little lost when it comes to drawing the curved arrows in a reaction mechanism.
I was working on Question 6 from the 2014 Final and I was confused with where to begin the curved arrow and where to end it.
For example, for one of the steps, I drew a curved arrow going from a bond to an atom, but the correct way to draw it was to draw the curved arrow from the bond to another bond connected to the aforementioned atom.
How do I know where to begin and where to end the arrows?

Victoria Liang 3L

Re: How to draw curved arrows?

Postby Victoria Liang 3L » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:47 pm

The tail of the arrow is from the the source of the electron and the arrow goes to where the election goes. For example in step 1 of q6, the electron source is the bond between N and H. The electrons go to the N and leaves the H with no electrons.

However, I am confused about step 3. The arrows show that H and OH is detached from the molecule. However, there is no arrow showing the bonding of H and OH to form HOH in the products. Why is this?

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 881 times

Postby Chem_Mod » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:03 pm

Could you please post an image?

LeilaBushweller1F

Postby LeilaBushweller1F » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:35 pm

The arrow is going from one bond to another bond because that bond is breaking, and those electrons are being used to form a double bond between oxygen and carbon. You can figure this out by looking at the product of step 3: the R and NH3 do not change during step 3, but the two C-OH bonds change. We can see in the products that C forms a double bond with O. In addition, one OH group is completely detached, and a hydrogen has also been separated from the remaining oxygen. The electrons from one the O-H bond are used to form a C=O bond (and the Hydrogen is detached), and the electrons in the C-OH bond go to the hydroxide (so there in no longer a bond).

As for the bonding of H and OH, I think it is just assumed that HOH forms, since water is constantly losing and gaining hydrogens (alternating between HOH, OH, and H).

Christopher Phung 3G

Postby Christopher Phung 3G » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:14 am

Instead of drawing a curved arrow from one bond (one that's being broken) to another bond (to make a pi bond), would I be wrong to draw two curved arrows - one going from the bond that's being broken to the atom, and a lone pair from the atom to the other bond to make a pi bond?
I just don't feel right about taking electrons from one bond and putting it into another if there is an electronegative atom like O linking the two bonds. Wouldn't electrons go to the oxygen first, and then to make the pi bond?

Christopher Phung 3G

Postby Christopher Phung 3G » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:19 am

Here is the picture on the problem that I'm stuck on.

See that there is a curved arrow from the hydrogen bond to the C-O bond to make a C=O bond.
Would I be wrong to draw the curved arrow from the hydrogen bond to the C, and then another curved arrow from the C to the C-O bond to make the C=O bond?
Attachments
IMG_20150315_011516_417[1].jpg

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 881 times

Postby Chem_Mod » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:30 am

Leila is correct, the electrons in O--H are being used to create C=O pi bond so you draw the arrow as such. Arrows are just a notation telling you where the electrons start and where they finally end up. They should be simple, there should not be two arrows to accomplisih something when one would suffice.

Return to “*Organic Reaction Mechanisms in General”