Reading the textbook

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

J_Rodriguez_Dis2k

Reading the textbook

Postby J_Rodriguez_Dis2k » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:02 pm

I know that in the course reader it says to read chapter 5 for a review for gases. But every time i try reading the textbook i get intimidated and i stop reading the textbook . Do you guys find it more helpful when you guys read the textbook?

TeaK1C

Re: Reading the textbook

Postby TeaK1C » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:57 pm

I find it helpful to read the book when i don't completely understand a concept, because there are examples in the text as well. Maybe you should try just looking at the examples to see if you understand it and then if you don't reading the explanations around it instead of reading everything in the beginning.

Hayley Hammons 1L

Postby Hayley Hammons 1L » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:42 pm

Yes, I read the textbook and takes notes on information that comes up in the course reader. It takes a while but I find it really helpful for memory because you're writing down key concepts and it provides great examples and explanations that I can associate with concepts to help me remember them. If you don't want to read the whole chapter, there is always a bolded summary of the key concepts after each section in the chapter. For example, section 11.5 in chapter 11 will have a bolded summary separated from the last paragraph at the end. One could probably compile all the summaries to make a great study guide for the final!

Anne Cam 3A

Postby Anne Cam 3A » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:42 pm

The text uses some different symbols from the ones we use and the equations are more advanced which can be intimidating, but it has a lot of useful background information in the actual text portion. The bolded words are also relevant most of the time.

Martha Xuncax 3G

Postby Martha Xuncax 3G » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:50 pm

I personally find it easier to go through the course reader again to fully understand the key concepts, then start the homework, and if I come across concepts that i don't understand, then I go through the textbook to understand the smaller details.

Wesley_Rugen_1E

Postby Wesley_Rugen_1E » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:41 pm

I read the book and find it helps a lot when understanding difficult topics. They can use different symbols which can be confusing, but overall it helps me out a lot. Also doing the self-tests when going through the reading give me confidence when learning the content.

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 1253 times

Postby Chem_Mod » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:45 pm

Several good suggestions here. Focus on the core and then expand.

The core is my lecture notes, examples, and assigned homework, then expand to the textbook for additional examples and details.

Focus on Chemical Equilibrium lecture notes and online modules (videos I made and Q&A).
Then do homework problems and textbook examples.
If you have some difficulty problem solving in this Chemical Equilibrium section then also look at the online Math Resources on my class website.

Additional background reading on Ideal Gases is only suggested if you have some difficulty on how to use PV = nRT for gas-phase reactions in the Chemical Equilibrium section. For example, as discussed in class:

P = n/V (RT) = concentration x RT
This equation allows conversion between concentration and partial pressure for a gas, and vice versa.

Hope this helps.

Korosh Bahrami

Postby Korosh Bahrami » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:33 pm

I read the textbook for CHEM14A with Professor Li. I usually read it before lectures in order to gain a general understanding of what she was going to talk about in lecture. The key is to slowly read it over a few times until the information gets stuck in your head.

usernamesarehard

Postby usernamesarehard » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:47 pm

Are any textbook problems going to be included on the quiz and midterm or are they just going to be problems assigned in the homework? I usually do more than just the assigned problems anyway and sometimes I would find some similar questions during 14A with Lavelle.

Randon_Zahlout_3B

Postby Randon_Zahlout_3B » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:18 pm

I find reading the textbook very helpful. I usually like to do it while completing assigned problems- this way, I can try and learn how to solve a problem by going back and reading relevant sections instead of just trying to read the whole chapter at once without actually practicing any of the material.

Alex Uy 2D

Postby Alex Uy 2D » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:07 pm

I think reading the textbook is helpful after going to lecture because sometimes I leave lecture with a lot of unanswered questions and the textbook helps expand on details. It does get to be quite confusing sometimes though. Going to the peer facilitated learning sessions are also very helpful to me usually.

Tycho_Meimban_2B

Postby Tycho_Meimban_2B » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:23 am

When reading the textbook I make sure that I not only read what is important, but also jot it down in a notebook, such as a definition (unless it is something that Dr. Lavelle does not mention) or a formula, even if it is a derived formula. I feel like reading the textbook is very helpful, if you know how to read a college textbook properly. Obviously, there's so much to read, and you cannot take notes on everything (unless you REALLY have the free time to do so, which I believe is impossible), so just look at what's important.

Hope this helps!

Amy_Bugwadia_3I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Amy_Bugwadia_3I » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:43 am

I read the textbook to prepare for Quiz 1, and what I found to be very helpful was to make my own formula sheet separated by subject (based on each section of the book). For example, I had one section devoted to enthalpy, one to entropy, one to Gibbs, etc. I also find highlighting very useful, but I definitely recommend only highlighting the super crucial information to avoid an overload of colors. Also, only highlighting the salient information helps your brain stay engaged with the reading. In addition to the homework problems assigned at the end of the chapter, I went through the self-test and checkpoint questions throughout the chapter, which were very useful particularly because they had step-by-step explanations.

shreya_mantri_3I

Postby shreya_mantri_3I » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:56 pm

Just a question? Are some of the formulae in the textbook different from the formulae in the course reader? Speaking from experience, i usually find that reading different formulae really confuses me.

s_pinto2e

Postby s_pinto2e » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:28 pm

Yes, I think some of the formulae are a bit different but not by much. For example in the specific heat equation, n is used for grams in the course reader whereas it is given as g (for grams) in the textbook.

Postby 904571591 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:35 pm

I think read the textbook is needed if you have time. Our lecture goes really fast and no one can get all the point in the lecture, so reading the textbook and try to understand better is necessary. It is also a good way to review.

Phillip Tran

Postby Phillip Tran » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:47 pm

I should start reading the textbook more...

Jessica Wakefield 1H

Postby Jessica Wakefield 1H » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:45 pm

To prepare for our test yesterday, I used the modules and also took notes on the suggested textbook readings. I think that taking notes on the textbook sections aided in my understanding in addition to the modules. I did find the modules more helpful and more engaging, though.

Jessica Wakefield 1H

Postby Jessica Wakefield 1H » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:46 pm

To prepare for our test yesterday, I used the modules and also took notes on the suggested textbook readings. I think that taking notes on the textbook sections aided in my understanding in addition to the modules. I did find the modules more helpful and more engaging, though.

Janet Nguyen 2H

Postby Janet Nguyen 2H » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:38 pm

I think reading the textbook would be helpful even if you don't understand it. That way you get a taste of the material so during class the lecture will flow better.

Richard Braun 1I

Postby Richard Braun 1I » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:48 pm

I find reading the textbook helpful to gain a base understanding of the concepts, making solving the homework problems easier.

Richard Braun 1I

Postby Richard Braun 1I » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:49 pm

I find reading the textbook helpful to gain a base understanding of the concepts, making solving the homework problems easier.

Mitch Walters

Postby Mitch Walters » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:50 pm

I find reading the textbook to be invaluable.

Peter Dis1G

Postby Peter Dis1G » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:49 am

Reading textbook+watching online sources are helpful to me. Only reading the textbook gains little help.

Mishta Stanislaus 1H

Postby Mishta Stanislaus 1H » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:01 pm

I️ think the best way to approach the textbook is by using the lecture notes as a sort of outline for the book. That way you can focus on the relevant informations as delivered in class. This method weeds out some of the overly complex detail in the textbook. Hope that helps!

Karen Zheng_2K

Postby Karen Zheng_2K » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:46 am

These methods really helped, thank you!!

AlyssaRivera

Postby AlyssaRivera » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:51 am

How useful is studying from the textbook in regards to test taking? Are tutoring/lecture notes better to study from?

Mjay 1F

Postby Mjay 1F » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:11 pm

AlyssaRivera wrote:How useful is studying from the textbook in regards to test taking? Are tutoring/lecture notes better to study from?

One of my friends who took this course last quarter said that it was helpful to study from the textbook only if you need further explanation but not to always use it because it does have different variables than from class sometimes which will overwhelm you!

Nienjou Claire 1E

Postby Nienjou Claire 1E » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:04 pm

I think reading the textbook definitely helps. Personally, I feel like it gives me a better overview of the big topics I am supposed to be learning. Professor Lavelle's lecture tend to be a little more focused on one specific topic and one specific example so I read the textbook to link ideas together and also to see more examples that are worked out step by step. I do usually skip the parts that we don't have to know/learn about.

Steve H

Postby Steve H » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:15 pm

I find it tiresome to read the entire chapter in one night. Personally, I find the textbook useful so far as my chem background is not the best. I typically try to read the textbook in different sections and go to office hours if I am really confused.

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 1253 times

Postby Chem_Mod » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:05 pm

Reading the textbook can only help in further providing you with additional understanding.

Erin Li 1K

Postby Erin Li 1K » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:54 am

I get overwhelmed and intimidated when reading the textbook too, so I would recommend only doing so when you have your full attention to the book and no other distractions.

Jocelyn1B

Postby Jocelyn1B » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:21 pm

I have the Pdf of the textbook and I also get overwhelmed reading it.
I do want to ask if the textbook would be recommended rather than reading it from the Pdf?

Angelica Garcia 1-H

Postby Angelica Garcia 1-H » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:26 pm

is it helpful to work out the problems in the textbook from the chapter?

Gabi Landes 1-H

Postby Gabi Landes 1-H » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:34 am

Personally I would only work out the pre & post module questions along with the assigned homework problems. Dr. Lavelle seems to do a good job of making what he wants you to know clear. If you try to do all the problems in the chapter you'll probably get overwhelmed.

Angelica Garcia 1-H wrote:is it helpful to work out the problems in the textbook from the chapter?

Amir Akhavan 1E

Postby Amir Akhavan 1E » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:40 pm

I feel that reading the textbook is very helpful in getting a better understanding of the topics in much more detail. Although it seems intimidating at first, it is readable and highly recommended.

yazminedesan1F

Postby yazminedesan1F » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:29 pm

what's the best way to learn the material for someone who's not so familiar with chemistry concepts?

princessturner1G

Postby princessturner1G » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:39 pm

yazminedesan1F wrote:what's the best way to learn the material for someone who's not so familiar with chemistry concepts?

Completing the pre-assessment and the post-assessment are extremely helpful. I recommended doing these and watching the videos as well.

Yitzchak Jacobson 1F

Postby Yitzchak Jacobson 1F » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:42 pm

In my opinion I feel like the textbook can be very helpful when filling in gaps for chemistry topics to get more clarity. with that said, when I have difficulty understanding certain concepts that Professor Lavelle covers, I find it very useful to watch is lectures online first, and then reading the textbook. I really hope this helps :)

Megan Phan 1K

Postby Megan Phan 1K » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:45 pm

In my own experience, reading the textbook helps me to clear up any confusions I have. When you already have the foundations from going to lecture down, reading the textbook solidifies any small misconceptions or reaffirms what you know. It's good to read it in order to absolutely make sure you are on the right track, when in doubt, reading it helps.

Taizha 1C

Postby Taizha 1C » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:00 am

Has anyone found any other resources outside of class that is useful for preparing for the test? Like any practice exam/test problems?

105012653 1F

Postby 105012653 1F » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:13 am

Taizha 1C wrote:Has anyone found any other resources outside of class that is useful for preparing for the test? Like any practice exam/test problems?

I think using the course reader and taking advantage of the Peer Learning Sessions are really helpful, especially since my friends who had the class before really recommend it.

Jocelyn1B

Postby Jocelyn1B » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:22 pm

How do you balance your other classes while still studying for chemistry?

yazminedesan1F

Postby yazminedesan1F » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:28 pm

Jocelyn1B wrote:How do you balance your other classes while still studying for chemistry?

typically I set a certain amount of time each week just for chemistry, at least three times a week while also studying for a test the week before so I don't get overwhelmed

ElizabethP1L

Postby ElizabethP1L » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:12 pm

I think Dr. Lavelle is very thorough when it comes to explaining things, so maybe just use the textbook to brush up on something or for diagrams/visuals. Sometimes the practice problems throughout the chapter are good for solving the math in the exercises. Hope this helped! :)

Jocelyn1B

Postby Jocelyn1B » Wed May 02, 2018 11:39 am

yazminedesan1F wrote:
Jocelyn1B wrote:How do you balance your other classes while still studying for chemistry?

typically I set a certain amount of time each week just for chemistry, at least three times a week while also studying for a test the week before so I don't get overwhelmed

Thank you!

Nimrat Brar 1E

Postby Nimrat Brar 1E » Wed May 02, 2018 12:18 pm

yazminedesan1F wrote:what's the best way to learn the material for someone who's not so familiar with chemistry concepts?

As someone who is also not very familiar with the chemistry concepts, I have found that watching the modules that Dr. Lavelle has posted online are extremely helpful. While watching them, I suggest to also take notes so you do not miss any of the important topics discussed. Additionally, reading through the textbook for further clarification on the lectures has proved to be a successful studying method for me! If you need a more simple basis to go from, I would also recommend Crash Course videos on specific topics as well as Khan Academy videos. Hope this helps.

Allen Chen 1J

Postby Allen Chen 1J » Thu May 03, 2018 4:32 pm

I feel as though reading the textbook is not necessarily necessary, but I do find how it works through example problems helpful in particular.

Allen Chen 1J

Postby Allen Chen 1J » Thu May 03, 2018 4:34 pm

yazminedesan1F wrote:

I try to go to the peer review sessions before each test.

Allen Chen 1J

Postby Allen Chen 1J » Thu May 03, 2018 4:34 pm

Taizha 1C wrote:Has anyone found any other resources outside of class that is useful for preparing for the test? Like any practice exam/test problems?

Looking at the tests from fall quarter as extra practice can be really useful

Angelica Garcia 1-H

Postby Angelica Garcia 1-H » Sun May 20, 2018 3:52 pm

maybe he has tests in the test bank

Jocelyn1B

Postby Jocelyn1B » Sun May 20, 2018 9:32 pm

How many peer review sessions does one go to?

MinyoungHong_1L

Postby MinyoungHong_1L » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:48 pm

As someone who just completed the course, I would say that the textbook can be a helpful tool in understanding the course topics within a bigger picture. Personally, I missed several classes (which I do not recommend), and the textbook helped me understand the material that I missed.

Kevin Arokiaraj 4E

Postby Kevin Arokiaraj 4E » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:03 pm

Personally, I like reading the textbook to view the example problems. However, I feel that I understood the concepts better watching Professor Lavelle's modules and KhanAcademy.

Quinn_Simpson_3D

Postby Quinn_Simpson_3D » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:55 am

Reading the textbook can be helpful because even if you don't fully understand it, you will have an idea of what is going to be taught in class. For me, this helps create a deeper understanding than when I just listen to the lecture and then do the homework.

Avery Zuelch 1D

Postby Avery Zuelch 1D » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:34 pm

I read the textbook after a lecture when I don't fully understand the topic while discussed in class. While the book uses some different symbols/terms than in lecture, I find that reading the book explains the material in an alternate fashion, which sometimes helps.
However, I always go on Dr. Lavelle's page and watch his outlines videos. Those prove to be the most helpful to me.

Nicolle Fernandez 1E

Postby Nicolle Fernandez 1E » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:39 pm

I think reading the textbook is helpful when I do not understand the concept because it is like a reinforcement of the material because sometimes I do not fully understand something the first time. I also like to watch the modules to reinforce the textbook, and I like to review my notes as well.

Janelle Magaling 3L

Postby Janelle Magaling 3L » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:24 pm

I think it's helpful reading the textbook for example problems. Usually I would go over my notes from lecture and watch the modules and take notes. The textbook is really helpful for homework help because the textbook gives step by step answers to different types of homework problems. Basically focus on the examples, toolboxes, and vocabulary.

taline_n

Postby taline_n » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:19 pm

I think viewing the video modules is the best way to review topics you didn't understand in lecture; as far as the textbook goes, it's a great resource for more examples and longer descriptions/definitions of terms and concepts!

Postby 905092269 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:21 pm

I would recommend reading the textbook and taking notes on key topics or anything you have a hard time understanding. I would also recommend doing the homework problems because I have noticed that helps me the most. I definitely think that the textbook is a useful resource and you should try to read it as much as you can.

Ashley P 4I

Postby Ashley P 4I » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:58 am

Does anyone know the reading schedule? I have no idea where to look for it so I've just been reading whole chapters on the topics we have been discussing in class.

AustinGrove3B

Postby AustinGrove3B » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:52 am

The reading schedule is in the same outline as the homework problems. As a general rule, Dr. Lavelle tells us to read all the parts of the chapter that we are doing homework problems for.

Jchellis 1I

Postby Jchellis 1I » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:15 pm

I am a very visual learner so watching videos online also really helps me. Also, with videos you can pause them and rewind, which you can't do in lecture, but its a little more engaging than the textbook.

taline_n

Postby taline_n » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:22 pm

This doesn't have to do with the physical textbook, but does anyone know if we'll be needing the access code for chem 14A at all?

Sydney Tay 2B

Postby Sydney Tay 2B » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:26 am

I generally like to read the textbook after lectures because once it is discussed in class the content in the textbook seems like a review and a way to dive into more specifics. I also find that it is less intimidating once you have a basic knowledge over the subject beforehand. I really find it helpful to read the textbook especially if a topic is on the more conceptual and complex side.

Eruchi Okpara 2E

Postby Eruchi Okpara 2E » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:21 pm

Does anyone know what the sapling access code is for? Like, is having it actually helpful?

Isabelle_Maletz_3E

Postby Isabelle_Maletz_3E » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:32 pm

I find the textbook helpful in completing the homework because it shows step by step how to do problems similar to the chapter questions.

allisoncarr1i

Postby allisoncarr1i » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:45 pm

The video modules are much more helpful and understandable than the textbook.

Ashley P 4I

Postby Ashley P 4I » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:36 pm

I feel like going to lecture and understanding the main concepts in class first helps me better understand the book. For test prep, I do homework problems and I use the module questions. If you don’t understand a question on the modules, look it up on chemistry community! It more than likely has already been answered.

nataliefgarcia3I

Postby nataliefgarcia3I » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:03 pm

I find it really helpful to read the textbook because it's almost like a summary of what is taught in lecture.

Postby 105085381 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:22 pm

I find it helpful to read the textbook, but I also get confused a lot after! I then will watch Crash Course on Youtube for whatever concept it is that I am confused by. They often work through examples and explain the topic step by step. I think it really helps for clarity and betters my understanding!!

Postby 904837647 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:12 am

I have my roommates old course reader which is basically Lavelle's lectures condensed. I find it helpful to align my notes/examples given in class with the course reader as a refresher of what was covered in lecture. For a better understanding of the concepts I read that specific chapter in the textbook.

Postby 005199302 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:45 pm

If I ever attempt a homework problem and don't fully understand it, I read the corresponding section in the textbook and it's very helpful.

Brian Kwak 1D

Postby Brian Kwak 1D » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:45 pm

I read the textbook but in a very organized way. Since there is a lot of information in the textbook which can sometimes make it confusing and hinders your comprehension. I use the outlines for each section and cater my reading to focus on the things that were on the outline. For example I would read the textbook headings for everything in the chapter so I can get a general idea of the structure and organization of the text. Then go to the outline and see what is emphasized in the outlines. Then I write down questions related to the outline like why is A important? What is the connection between A and B? And so forth that way when I am reading its not just passively reading I am actively engaging with the text which helps me remember the concepts and formulas that are emphasized in the outline. During my reading after every paragraph I would also write down a small conclusion in my own words of what the text is saying. Then after that is just review review review. It may also help to look at the homework questions first before you start reading to see what kind of questions they ask so you can remember those parts better. This is pretty much the SQ4R process or style of reading texts. I will post the link to the website for the SQ4R process. I would also recommend checking out the learningscientist website that I will also post. These techniques were the most useful in learning to me especially after my concussion which was diagnosed as a mildTraumaticBrainInjury. Since these helped me after my injury I’m sure they will be useful for you as well.

https://brazosport.edu/programs/academi ... SQ4R/index

http://www.learningscientists.org

Postby 105085381 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:32 pm

Reading the textbook and working through the practice problems provided in each section - in addition to the homework problems per week - really helped better my understanding behind the details of the ideal gases and thermodynamics!!

Karina Jiayu Xu 4E

Postby Karina Jiayu Xu 4E » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:13 am

Although reading the text book helps, I think simply completing all homework questions and attending lecture and discussion is sufficient to fully understand the course material, to be honest.

Celio_G_Dis2C

Postby Celio_G_Dis2C » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:16 am

When I read the textbook, I get really overwhelmed so I stray away from it :)

Samantha Silva 1F

Postby Samantha Silva 1F » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:35 pm

Celio_G_Dis2C wrote:When I read the textbook, I get really overwhelmed so I stray away from it :)
Same, practice problems are the way to go.

Pritish Patil 1K

Postby Pritish Patil 1K » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:10 pm

I read the textbook to understand the content in relation to the homework problems. However, if I don't understand something I go and watch a youtube video or something similar to help me understand.

Ryan Danis 1J

Postby Ryan Danis 1J » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:58 pm

I find that when I read the textbook and take notes on the material I understand the concepts better. Also, there is occasionally a bit of information in the book that isn’t always covered in class (for instance, reducing and oxidizing power in electrochem) and this info can show up on tests. It takes time and I wish I started doing this before week 7 of chem 14B because I probably would’ve done better in 14A and the first half of 14B...

Nghi Nguyen 2L

Postby Nghi Nguyen 2L » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:17 pm

I can't seem to focus when I read the textbook, so I tend to do a lot of practice problems to make up for it

Postby 904837647 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:52 pm

I find that looking at the examples in the book really help understand how each concept is applied. Doing the hw problems after covering the concepts also help.

Leila_4G

Postby Leila_4G » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:59 pm

I look at the examples only on topics I don't/wouldn't understand. Since the first couple units are review of High School Chem, I've been reading for content, not so much examples.

Leila_4G

Postby Leila_4G » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:00 pm

When doing the practice problems for homework, do you all suggest looking at each answer right after you complete the question? Or should I only check the answers I feel shaky on? Or should I check all the answers at once after I complete all of them?

Angela Patel 2J

Postby Angela Patel 2J » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:56 pm

I find it more helpful to look at the answers after I've done each problem. That way I know if I'm making a mistake and I don't have to redo all of the problems just because I misunderstood something. :)

Postby 605110118 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:49 pm

J_Rodriguez_Dis2k wrote:I know that in the course reader it says to read chapter 5 for a review for gases. But every time i try reading the textbook i get intimidated and i stop reading the textbook . Do you guys find it more helpful when you guys read the textbook?

Although it's hard to follow at times, I feel like it can be really helpful when looking for explicit examples or definitions. Even if it takes a couple times to re-read.

Reagan Smith 1H

Postby Reagan Smith 1H » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:59 pm

The textbook definitely has some valuable information that goes in depth on all of the topics covered so I think it is definitely worth it to read the book and view the examples. The examples are super helpful.

NHolmes3L

Postby NHolmes3L » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:03 pm

I find it much more helpful to read the textbook. Take it slow and take notes. Going through all the practice problems helps too to make sure you understand the material.

Leslie Magana 4C

Postby Leslie Magana 4C » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:27 pm

I know it's barely week 1 but reading the textbook has already helped me so much.

Robert Cross 1A

Postby Robert Cross 1A » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:31 pm

I find that reading the textbook can help, however normally I like to supplement reading the textbook by also looking up the concept online/reading an internet explanation/watching Khan Academy videos. I think combining resources is the most effective way to gather information on a topic, especially with chemistry. Sometimes I find the textbook is too compacted and disorganized visually (that being said, there's A LOT of info in there), but when looking up the general topic online there are plenty of resources available which help me to better understand the pages of the textbook that I'm sifting through. But yes, I think it's always good to look over the textbook. Especially the example problems.

plopezcordon_4C

Postby plopezcordon_4C » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:14 pm

I like the textbook because of all the sample problems but I'm the type of person that needs step by step instructions and I need to see someone actually do ti so I can understand how to do something. So when I work on problems I follow along on youtube or khan academy to help me because reading it from a book doesn't help me so much.

Postby 705379941 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:32 pm

the textbook can scare me, but it's best to break it down. Don't read too much in one sitting and take notes on things that scare you. If you really don't understand a concept, try looking at videos on Youtube!

MBouwman_4A

Postby MBouwman_4A » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:19 pm

Does anyone know of some good video websites or Youtube channels that could help with explaining the introductory material? I feel like I'm more receptive to listening and visual presentations than reading lines from the textbook.

Kennya Ramos 1E

Postby Kennya Ramos 1E » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:32 pm

If it is not required to read from the textbook, I usually don't unless I really need some extra explaining. The book personally confuses me more most of the time. It may be just me but I'm not a fan of the big "academic" terms used.

Emily_4B

Postby Emily_4B » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:33 pm

Reading the textbook can sometimes intimidate me, especially when I look at certain homework problems and they incorporate elements we didn’t specifically learn about. If any of you could recommend YouTube channels or other online videos/websites you guys use to help better understand the course material, I’d appreciate it!!

Jessica Li 4F

Postby Jessica Li 4F » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:51 pm

I used these for my AP Chemistry class in high school, but I think they have some college-level chem as well:
https://chem.libretexts.org/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEWpbFLzoYGPfuWUMFPSaoA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFKnq9QM6_A&list=PLJfwA7_CzYE_qLSXH2hJkpffcrc76NjHJ

Hope this helps!

Anvi Brahmbhatt 4A

Postby Anvi Brahmbhatt 4A » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:39 pm

Thank you for giving those links! I'll definitely view them to refresh myself on certain topics. I also do recommend reading the textbook because it does go in depth on the topics it covers, and helps solidify concepts you learn.

Lauren Tindall

Postby Lauren Tindall » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:39 pm

I too get a bit intimidated by reading the textbook. However, doing so is extremely helpful. To make it easier for myself, I split my reading into different chunks and take breaks in between so I won’t be so overwhelmed by all of the material at once. Sometimes, I also take notes on my computer about the things I am confused about so I can research it later. Hope this helps!

Merin Padayatty 3G

Postby Merin Padayatty 3G » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:20 pm

I personally find reading the textbook very beneficial just so I can go in depth on the topics covered. I usually have to read the text more than once to really comprehend the material so I break the text into small sections.

KTran 1I

Postby KTran 1I » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:05 am

Are there a lot of topics in the book that are not covered during lecture that show up on tests?

Return to “Ideal Gases”