Gas vs solid

Volume:
Temperature:

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jennifer Guzman 4C

Gas vs solid

Postby Jennifer Guzman 4C » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:39 pm

Why is the entropy of a gas in an aqueous solution less than the entropy of a solid in an aquesous solution?

Brandon_Tran_2E

Re: Gas vs solid

Postby Brandon_Tran_2E » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:40 pm

Think of entropy as disorder, gas molecules and more dispersed and disordered in an aqueous solution whereas a solid is a literal solid and ordered.

kimberlyrose1G

Postby kimberlyrose1G » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:44 pm

Jennifer Guzman 4C wrote:Why is the entropy of a gas in an aqueous solution less than the entropy of a solid in an aqueous solution?

To answer your question piggybacking off of the previous reply, entropy should increase as you go from solid to liquid to gas. Therefore the entropy of gas should be more than the entropy of a solid (because it occupies more volume).

harshitasarambale4I

Postby harshitasarambale4I » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:53 pm

Is this why delta U = delta H in biological systems since reactions in biological systems take place in liquids?

Timothy_Yueh_4L

Postby Timothy_Yueh_4L » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:01 pm

harshitasarambale4I wrote:Is this why delta U = delta H in biological systems since reactions in biological systems take place in liquids?

The reason why delta U = delta H in biological systems is because these reactions usually occur in aqueous solutions, which unlike gas is unable to expand or compress to perform work. Therefore the work done by compress/expansion doesn't apply to these biological systems and the total energy of the system is equal to delta H.

katie_sutton1B

Postby katie_sutton1B » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:04 pm

Since a solid is compact and the molecules do not move, it has less entropy. Since gas molecules are very spread out, they have more disorder and therefore more entropy.

Return to “Entropy Changes Due to Changes in Volume and Temperature”