New to Lavelle

This forum topic is for students to self-organize study groups, etc.

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jesse Kuehn 1B

New to Lavelle

Postby Jesse Kuehn 1B » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:45 pm

I am new to Lavelle and finding it a bit confusing to navigate through his website and resources (im still not even really sure how to navigate chemistry community because there are so many posts and so many from the past, it seems as there are so many great resources but almost too many. I was wondering what the best resources to use outside of lectures are as far as straight reading from the book, TA office hours, UAs (not sure what those are), or his videos?

ChathuriGunasekera1D

Re: New to Lavelle

Postby ChathuriGunasekera1D » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:41 pm

Honestly I just do homework problems and the audio visual practice (you find it on his website). His UAs are undergraduate assistants that host small review sessions. There are:

Step ups for people that struggle a bit with chem, it's for them to start from the basics and work their way up
Drop ins for people who are okay with chem, but they just want some review
Workshops for people who are pretty good with chem, but they might need some brushing up

I think by next week, he will post these sessions he calls "peer learning sessions" on his website. Each UA teaches a step up, drop in, or workshop at different times during the day, everyday (including weekends! if I remember correctly), and they are both on campus and on the Hill. You can go to as many as you want and they UAs give out worksheets! I go to some, they're really helpful!

Hannah Pham 1D

Postby Hannah Pham 1D » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:22 am

I honestly find all of his resources helpful, so I do all the problems in the book, watch the modules, and go to workshops when I need extra help on a topic. That’s just generally how I prepare for a test in his class.

Becky Belisle 1A

Postby Becky Belisle 1A » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:24 am

If you are confused about a specific topic the search tool on here is very helpful. Sometimes I'll google a question I have and the top result is this website.

havishgattu

Postby havishgattu » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:30 pm

As someone new to Lavelle I would like to ask, how well do the lectures prepare us for the midterm and final ? Is watching the modules absolutely necessary to ace this class or do the lectures go over all the topics well enough ? Also, how rigorous are the tests (not the final and the midterm the other ones)?

Alexandria Ilagan 2A

Postby Alexandria Ilagan 2A » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:45 pm

I am also new to Lavelle and I was wondering how I should prepare for tests and midterms.

Nina Do 4L

Postby Nina Do 4L » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:06 pm

Hi there,

I would definitely agree with all of the above suggestions. Personally, I use his website as well as Chemistry Community a lot and the homework questions are the main source of preparation for you so I recommend doing all of them or as many as you can. I also go to the step up sessions and PLF sessions through AAP but there are many other tutoring and peer learning resources outside of the ones Lavelle have set up. He really gives you all of the tools necessary for the success in his class! I know it can be a lot, but Chem comm is a 24/7 service and I use it a lot to help me grasp homework problems and ask and answer questions. Hope that helps!

whitney_2C

Postby whitney_2C » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:42 pm

I definitely understand, I also found his websites to be slightly confusing to navigate at first. Trust me though you'll get the hang of it after the two weeks or so. As for outside of lecture prep, I personally found doing all the homework problems he assigns, going to Lyndon's review sessions (he's a UA which is basically an undergrad who does everything a TA does except grading and teaching discussion sections), and doing review worksheets/packets on chemistry community to be the best way for me to study.

haleyervin7

Postby haleyervin7 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:10 pm

For the midterm and final Lavelle plans a lot of review sessions, but I would say the most helpful is Lyndon's because he goes over a review sheet that he made, but the other review sessions are more helpful if you have specific questions or topics you struggle with. The UA Karen also posts weekly review sheets.

Selina Bellin 2B

Postby Selina Bellin 2B » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:16 pm

homework problems and practice test problems!!

Brianna Brockman 1F

Postby Brianna Brockman 1F » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:14 am

practice the homework problems for sure and go to review sessions that the TAs hold! I also recommend personal tutoring, but it can take time to find one that you like that doesn't charge you $60 a session lol

Jennifer Lathrop 1F

Postby Jennifer Lathrop 1F » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:14 pm

I would definitely spend the time to really get used to using chemistry community, the more you take advantage of it the more it helps. Even if you don't reach out to other students for study groups, you can still get quick and easy help and sometimes tests/midterms/finals reference discussions made on chemistry community as well. Truly is a great resource when used properly.

Lisa Werner 2F

Postby Lisa Werner 2F » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:56 pm

I recommend doing as many practice problems as possible by doing those from the book and attending workshops with practice handouts.

bryan de leon disc1k

Postby bryan de leon disc1k » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:29 pm

okay i know this may sound odd, but i am having trouble figuring out how to post a question, im ablle to navigate through but i can't figure out how to make a post of my own. Im new to Lavelle's class as well so this thread is useful.

MadisonB

Postby MadisonB » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:53 am

To post a question you will go to the board index and post under the topic that most closely relates to your question. It will probably be removed or changed if it's posted in the wrong category. After that, you click on the new topic button and ask your question.

Postby 904914909 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:26 pm

I find the UA sessions really helpful and when preparing for tests to do a lot of practice problems, especially the ones that are integrated into the readings

EllaBerry

Postby EllaBerry » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:36 pm

I had Lavelle last quarter and what helped me more than anything was the step up lectures and other discussions set up by TAs and UAs. You can go to them and get all your questions answered, or just go more in depth on a topic you are confused about.

Mhun-Jeong Isaac Lee 1B

Postby Mhun-Jeong Isaac Lee 1B » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:02 pm

For me personally, I found that paying close attention to his lectures and doing most of the homework problems really prepared me for the tests, midterm, and final. A huge help is also Lyndon Bui's, the TA, review sessions. They are very thorough and refresh your memory on everything that was covered.

Abby-Hile-1F

Postby Abby-Hile-1F » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:57 pm

Asking questions on here is usually helpful and you can also just search for a topic and look at other peoples posts to clarify anything you may be confused about.

Phil Timoteo 1K

Postby Phil Timoteo 1K » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:10 pm

Doing homework and going to STEP UP sessions

josephperez_2C

Postby josephperez_2C » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:05 pm

I always make sure to take really good notes in class because while it sounds trivial, lecture is probably one the best resources for doing well on the exams. Also one tip for navigating chem community is going into Quicklinks on the top left and clicking on active topics to respond to questions.

Ricardo Martin 1J

Postby Ricardo Martin 1J » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:21 pm

Personally, I find it helpful to do all problems assigned for homework and attending review sessions during the week and also the ones right before midterms and finals.

beckyolmedo1G

Postby beckyolmedo1G » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:25 pm

I think doing hw problems is the best way to practice the material. Also, attending office hours is extremely helpful.

Anjali 4A

Postby Anjali 4A » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:47 pm

Going through lecture notes, as well as hw problems, and step up sessions (if you can't attend a few some worksheets are posted on chemistry community) help a lot!

Nandhini_2K

Postby Nandhini_2K » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:53 pm

I take sessions with AAP for this class, doing homework and practice problems works best for me.

Elle_Mendelson_2K

Postby Elle_Mendelson_2K » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:59 pm

Personally, I find attending lectures and reading through the textbooks critical! I think that doing as many book work problems as you can is so important and will prepare you well for his tests. Additionally, attending the workshops helps a lot. Just for reference- last quarter the average grade was about an 83%, the average midterm grade was a 83% and the average final was around 76%. Hope this helps!

Sheridan Slaterbeck 1J

Postby Sheridan Slaterbeck 1J » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:35 pm

Some of the UAs will post practice Tests before the midterm and final that are really helpful for studying, last quarter Lyndon posted them.

Gisselle Sainz 2F

Postby Gisselle Sainz 2F » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:00 am

I personally like to go to the UA sessions, AAP peer learning sessions, watch the online modules, and assigned problems from the textbook

Lauren Huang 1H

Postby Lauren Huang 1H » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:15 am

I personally think going to office hours is also really helpful since it is a good way to get some answers to the questions you might have after doing the homework problems.

Millicent Navarro 1I

Postby Millicent Navarro 1I » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:47 pm

Personally, I found going to the UA workshops very helpful. Depending on how you feel on the mastery of the course, you can choose which workshop fits for you (Step-Up, Drop-In, Workshop)! That being said, there are plenty of resources for you to be able to choose from to succeed in this class.

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 1253 times

Postby Chem_Mod » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:13 pm

As a UA who has taken the course and has been a UA for multiple quarters, I found the notes I took during lecture along with the assigned homework problems to be the most helpful. Both of these resources can adequately prepare you for the midterm and the final. If you have questions/need extra help, that's where Chemistry community, UA, and TA sessions come in. Reading the book chapters never seemed too helpful to me but it may be helpful if you need some clarification on concepts. Hope this helps.

Julia Lee

Postby Julia Lee » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:44 pm

havishgattu wrote:As someone new to Lavelle I would like to ask, how well do the lectures prepare us for the midterm and final ? Is watching the modules absolutely necessary to ace this class or do the lectures go over all the topics well enough ? Also, how rigorous are the tests (not the final and the midterm the other ones)?

The modules that are posted are the exact same thing as the lectures and he even uses the exact same slides. If you need extra help or review on that specific topic, I would suggest going back and watching the module. However, Lavelle only posts modules for the first Outline so they will not be a resource past the Chemical Equilibria section.

Karina Jiayu Xu 4E

Postby Karina Jiayu Xu 4E » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:54 pm

Doing all of the homework problems (not just the 7, but every one listed) helps me the most. His tests are pretty similar to the homework problems sometimes even easier.

Return to “Student Social/Study Group”