Temperature Dependence of K

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Olivia Young 1A

Temperature Dependence of K

Postby Olivia Young 1A » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:13 pm

I am a little confused on the meaning of temperature dependence of K in the Van't Hoff equation. Does is just mean that the value of K can change depending on the temperature?

Sara Flynn 2C

Re: Temperature Dependence of K

Postby Sara Flynn 2C » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:16 pm

Yes, the equation is just demonstrating the concept that we previously learned that K changes depending on the temperature at which the reaction is taking place

Sam Joslyn 1G

Postby Sam Joslyn 1G » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:26 pm

I believe Lavelle basically just described the Van't Hoff equation as concrete evidence for the statement made earlier in the course. Before, we had to just know that temperature changed K, but this equation shows how exactly it does that.

Jesse Kuehn 1B

Postby Jesse Kuehn 1B » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:27 pm

yeah you can also think about it in terms of the Le Chatlier's principle with how heat affects what sides of equations are favored, if one side of the equation is more favored at a different heat, then the there will be greater concentration of molecules on that side and the K value would shift. Hoff's equation just quantifies this idea

Jayasuriya Senthilvelan 4I

Postby Jayasuriya Senthilvelan 4I » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:48 pm

I agree with the above answers. We learned in the equilibrium chapter how K changes based on whether a reaction is endothermic or exothermic. The Van T' Hoff equation just quantifies the conceptual understanding that we gained in the past. With it, we can calculate the actual change in K value for certain reactions. We basically don't have to say that K increases or decreases, we can actually calculate what it inc or decreases to.

Sydney Tay 2B

Postby Sydney Tay 2B » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:02 pm

The Van't Hoff equation allows people to find the new equilibrium constant (K) when temperature changes, knowing the values of enthalpy and entropy.

Return to “Van't Hoff Equation”