Integrals/derivatives

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Mona El Masri 1F

Integrals/derivatives

Postby Mona El Masri 1F » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:29 am

Are we expected to know how to solve integrals and derivatives?

Tam To 1B

Re: Integrals/derivatives

Postby Tam To 1B » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:38 am

I believe knowing how to solve integrals and derivatives are mainly for us to know how to derive certain equations in this class. So far, we have been using integrals and derivatives to get formulas such as that of work of an reversible, isothermal reaction, change in entropy, work of a system with constant pressure, etc.
I believe we will continue to need to know it for upcoming rate law and order formulas as well. Dr. Lavelle said that we will be doing calculus beginning this week.
You are expected to know them because they are topics you should have learned as a prerequisite math course to Chem 14B.

Sophia Ding 1B

Postby Sophia Ding 1B » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:25 pm

Yeah, I think we'll have to know basic integrals, especially with deriving certain equations and the rate law formulas. But for the most part, I think the one you'll really have to remember is the integral of 1/x, which turns out to be ln(x). Other than that, most of them are simple ones that you hopefully remember from past classes, but I wouldn't stress too much about it!

Danielle_Gallandt3I

Postby Danielle_Gallandt3I » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:24 pm

While I do think it is helpful to know so that if you don't remember an equation you can derive or integrate it yourself, I think in the context of this class it is not incredibly necessary. However, this does mean that you will have to memorize more equations.

Return to “Kinetics vs. Thermodynamics Controlling a Reaction”