Difference between instantaneous and unique rate

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Layal Suboh 1I

Difference between instantaneous and unique rate

Postby Layal Suboh 1I » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:03 pm

Other than the unique rates have coefficients in the equation, what is the difference between instantaneous and unique rate? What does it mean that the unique rate is the same for all reactants and products in that unique reaction?

David Effio 1H

Re: Difference between instantaneous and unique rate

Postby David Effio 1H » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:20 pm

Looking at the equation, the instantaneous rate depicts the rate of either reactants or products at a very specific point in time. It is the derivative, and therefore the tangent line to the graph of the reaction. The instantaneous rate of a reactant and product can vary. However, the unique rate is the rate of an entire reaction, where all the reactants and products have the exact same rate, and therefore that rate is "unique" to that reaction.

I hope that helps/made sense!

Danielle_Gallandt3I

Postby Danielle_Gallandt3I » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:28 pm

They key difference is that an instantaneous rate is specific to each reactant or product within a reaction, whereas a unique rate is the same for all reactants and products within a reaction

JadeSebti1L

Postby JadeSebti1L » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:45 pm

As everyone said, the instantaneous rate refers to the rate of change in the concentration of reactants and products at ONE moment, given by -d(R)/dt. The unique rate of the reaction is the one average rate of the reaction taking into consideration that the reactant/product concentrations are all changing at different rates (UNIQUE RATE = −1/a (d[A])/dt = 1/b (d[B])/dt = 1/c (d[C])/dt).

Return to “General Rate Laws”