the phases in a cell diagram

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Eunice Lee 1A

the phases in a cell diagram

Postby Eunice Lee 1A » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:48 pm

During a discussion session, our TA listed the order that substances in different phases should be written in a cell diagram. Does anyone know the order? (I think it was solids on the outer sides and aqueous on the inner sides of the cell diagram, but I'm not sure.)

For reference: I think it was something like this: |(s)|(aq)||(aq)|(s)|

Michael Torres 4I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: the phases in a cell diagram

Postby Michael Torres 4I » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:06 pm

The order in which you listed them with aqueous in the middle and solids on the outside seems correct. Apart from what you have already mentioned, the book also mentions placing reactants before products when constructing cell diagrams. After you have arranged the phases as you did here, I recommend following this recommendation given by the book for any phases about which you are unsure.

I heard from my TA that they will not be grading phase location too harshly. Therefore, I also recommend focusing more on getting the phases and bars right before worrying about their relative placement within the oxidation and reduction parts of the cell diagram.

Jonny Schindler 1A

Postby Jonny Schindler 1A » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:20 pm

Which order do we put the aqueous products in if there are multiple?

Manu Vohra 1L

Postby Manu Vohra 1L » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:44 am

^ order for the aqueous ions does not matter as long as they are on the appropriate side (anode or cathode).

Calvin Patel 2H

Postby Calvin Patel 2H » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:42 am

Aqueous in the middle and solids on the outside.

Return to “Galvanic/Voltaic Cells, Calculating Standard Cell Potentials, Cell Diagrams”