true statement?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

inlovewithchemistry

true statement?

Postby inlovewithchemistry » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:30 pm

"the lower the temperature, the higher the rate enhancement will be when a catalyst is added"

is this a correct statement? this question relates to question 7E.3 in the 7th edition- the whole process of it is very confusing to me but id like to understand the conceptual part first.

Kobe_Wright

Re: true statement?

Postby Kobe_Wright » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:09 pm

Yes. When you look at the Arrhenius equation we can see that increasing temperature makes the rate larger, as does lowering the activation energy, which is what a catalyst does, so doing these together should theoretically increase the enhancement of the rate.

Destiny Diaz 4D

Postby Destiny Diaz 4D » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:07 am

the way I think of this, just to be quick is the higher the temp. the more collisions within the reaction meaning it will react at a faster rate. so the statement is true in this context

Jeannine 1I

Postby Jeannine 1I » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:31 am

Kobe_Wright wrote:Yes. When you look at the Arrhenius equation we can see that increasing temperature makes the rate larger, as does lowering the activation energy, which is what a catalyst does, so doing these together should theoretically increase the enhancement of the rate.

But isn't the statement saying that the lower the temperature, the greater the catalyst will work?

Kobe_Wright

Postby Kobe_Wright » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:51 pm

Jeannine 1I wrote:
Kobe_Wright wrote:Yes. When you look at the Arrhenius equation we can see that increasing temperature makes the rate larger, as does lowering the activation energy, which is what a catalyst does, so doing these together should theoretically increase the enhancement of the rate.

But isn't the statement saying that the lower the temperature, the greater the catalyst will work?

Yeah my bad when i looked at the equation i explained it right but answered wrong the statement is incorrect.

Return to “*Enzyme Kinetics”