Symbol for Molarity

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Gabriella Bates 2L

Symbol for Molarity

Postby Gabriella Bates 2L » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:56 pm

Sort of a general question are the symbols for molar mass and molarity both M? Is there any way to distinguish between the two (other than the context of the problem)? Thanks in advance!

Marni Kahn 1A
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Symbol for Molarity

Postby Marni Kahn 1A » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:01 pm

In our textbook, molarity is also represented by c(this is easier for me to distinguish because I can associate molarity with "c" since molarity represents the Concentration)

Maia_Jackson_2C

Postby Maia_Jackson_2C » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:27 pm

Also while the symbol for molar mass is M, when given a molar mass in homework or test problems it will have units of g/mol, which may help distinguish it from molarity.

Brian_Ho_2B

Postby Brian_Ho_2B » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:53 pm

Another symbol for molar mass to look out for in certain textbooks (that you may acquire along your educational career) is a curvy, capital M. This was in our AP chemistry textbook back in high school. Molarity will almost always be represented by a simple, capital M. Other similar symbols included the curvy, lowercase m, which may stand for "molality" (another way to represent concentration) and the standard lowercase "m", which most likely stands for mass for the most part.

Jasmine 2C

Postby Jasmine 2C » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:32 pm

In my experience, the easiest way to distinguish between the molar mass and molarity of a solution is the context of the question, but do remember that the textbook also uses c for molarity of a solution. And sometimes they may even through in the units of the answer that they want so if they say g/mol, it's asking for molar mass of a particle, and if they say mol/L, it's asking for the concentration of a solution.
Also, if you have trouble distinguishing between the two, I think it's good to start making it a habit of using c, instead of M, for molarity of a solution when you work out problems.

Sam McNeill 1E

Postby Sam McNeill 1E » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:08 pm

I would look for the units of the problem, if you are using grams and moles then you know that molar mass is the M, but if there is liters instead of grams then M is molarity. In general I would look at the context of the problem every time just to double check that you have the right M and are using the correct units.

saigorijavolu2k

Postby saigorijavolu2k » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:47 pm

Sometimes if I am working with molar mass and Molarity I just write down the units rather than M

selatran1h

Postby selatran1h » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:22 pm

The symbol for molarity is M and the units are mol/L while the units for molar mass are grams/mol.

Return to “Molarity, Solutions, Dilutions”