Accuracy and Precision  [ENDORSED]

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

romina_4C

Accuracy and Precision

Postby romina_4C » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:03 pm

Will we have to know how to calculate accuracy/precision (I vaguely remember something about a number plus or minus another number but do not remember how to get to that point)?

EvanWang

Re: Accuracy and Precision  [ENDORSED]

Postby EvanWang » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:23 pm

I don't think we need to calculate the level of precision and accuracy, we just need to identify situations and experimental results that are precise, accurate, both and neither.

Jessica Castellanos
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Accuracy and Precision

Postby Jessica Castellanos » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:14 am

I agree with the post before that it's the ideas that are important and being able to identify in a situation whether it's precise and/or accurate. Also, I believe the idea you vaguely remember is of error bars (which is shown with a plus or minus of the standard error) and standard error itself. Both of these are used to measure the precision of a group of data, but I don't believe it will be necessary to know how to calculate unless Dr. Lavelle discusses it in a later lecture.

Ryan Yee 1J

Postby Ryan Yee 1J » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:43 am

I just think that you have to know that accuracy is how close your measured values are to the actual values while precision is how consistent your measured values are with one another.

Maika Ngoie 1B

Postby Maika Ngoie 1B » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:52 am

I think the equation you're referring to is the one where you subtract your lowest measured value from your highest value to record as precision, but I don't think we will be doing this with actual numerical values. I think it's more for us the understand the difference between the two and the individual importance of both.

Return to “Accuracy, Precision, Mole, Other Definitions”