Naming Molecular Compounds

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Ian Morris 3C

Naming Molecular Compounds

Postby Ian Morris 3C » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:51 pm

I am a little confused as to how to name compounds. I understand simple ones such as molecular compounds, but I can't seem to remember how to name compounds such as in H.25, when it asks to "name the different phosphorus oxides".

Elizabeth Johnson 1I

Re: Naming Molecular Compounds

Postby Elizabeth Johnson 1I » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:53 pm

I too am struggling with this! I think I'm going to review the Fundamentals Section D of Nomenclature to brush up on it. I don't think we'll be directly tested on it, so for the meantime, I think we're alright, but it definitely won't hurt us to get some extra practice.

TYun_1C

Postby TYun_1C » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:10 am

I'm also pretty rusty on nomenclature right now! Though I don't think we will be held responsible for naming on upcoming tests, I would recommend reviewing the common polyatomic ions and their charges as well as the charges for the transition metals (ferric vs ferrous etc.). Also, the common rule is to swap the charges of the ions to come up with the subscripts for the molecule.

Julieta Serobyan4D

Postby Julieta Serobyan4D » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:11 am

Ian Morris 3C wrote:I am a little confused as to how to name compounds. I understand simple ones such as molecular compounds, but I can't seem to remember how to name compounds such as in H.25, when it asks to "name the different phosphorus oxides".

Hey!!! I will advise you to read the corresponding sections from the book and also watch Khan Academy videos about naming the compounds. If it still does not help, the best way will be to go to Office Hours.

Good luck!!!

Kayla Maldonado 1C
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Kayla Maldonado 1C » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:21 am

I am also struggling with naming compounds, but reviewing outside sources like khan academy has helped a bit. I also don't think it will be necessary for now, but we most likely will need the skill later.

Kassidy Ford 1I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Kassidy Ford 1I » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:53 am

I am not sure how to name molecular compounds as well, even the simple ones. Can someone post where to learn how to do this? I know it doesn't concern chem 14A right now but I'm sure it will be useful. Also, the vice versa as well. I am not sure how to write the chemical formula given the name of a compound.

Maya Beal Dis 1D
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Maya Beal Dis 1D » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:31 am

When would you need to specify a molecule as anhydrous? I know most often that is the state molecules are in, but when naming compounds when must you include anhydrous in the written name?

Return to “Empirical & Molecular Formulas”