Volume formulas

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Princess Jereza 3C

Volume formulas

Postby Princess Jereza 3C » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:54 pm

What is the difference in using the two formulas for calculating the volume of a solution: V = n/c and V(initial) = [C(final)V(final)]/C(initial)? When is it appropriate to use either formula?

Vanessa Chuang 4F

Re: Volume formulas

Postby Vanessa Chuang 4F » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:57 pm

It depends on what the questions has given you and what it's asking for. The first one is generally used if you are trying to convert between moles and molarity given the volume. The second one is mostly used for dilution where you transfer different volumes from one concentration to another.

Qilan Li 4I

Postby Qilan Li 4I » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:09 pm

The first is usually used to find the molarity of a solution when the moles of solute (n) and the volume of solution (v) are given. The formula can also be rearranged to find moles or volume if the other two values are given. The second formula is used when dilution is occurring (adding more solvent to decrease concentration). You can use it to find the molarity or volume of the initial or final/concentrated or diluted solution using the equation.

Kristina Rizo 2K

Postby Kristina Rizo 2K » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:25 pm

In the formulas discussed above, what does the C mean? V = n/c and V(initial) = [C(final)V(final)]/C(initial)
Do the lower case c and upper case C represent the same thing?

Princess Jereza 3C

Postby Princess Jereza 3C » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:42 pm

Kristina Rizo 3K wrote:In the formulas discussed above, what does the C mean? V = n/c and V(initial) = [C(final)V(final)]/C(initial)
Do the lower case c and upper case C represent the same thing?

I apologize for the notation there. Yeah the lower case and upper care represent the same thing, concentration.

chari_maya 3B

Postby chari_maya 3B » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:17 pm

I am also confused about this... on page F57 of the textbook in the box called G1 there is a description on how to calculate the volume of stock solution required for a given dilution... it seems like v = n/c is used when you have/ have found the amount of solute in the final solution and want to find the initial volume of the initial (not diluted) solution. However I'm not sure.

Sanjana Borle 2K

Postby Sanjana Borle 2K » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:27 pm

For me the most straightforward way is to use the equation m1v1=m2v2 then plug in molarities and volumes to find the unknown. I believe this equation (or alternate versions of this) should be all we need for this section.

Return to “Molarity, Solutions, Dilutions”