F 13

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Aashka Popat 1A

F 13

Postby Aashka Popat 1A » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:58 pm

For part b of F 13 ( In an experiment,4.14g of phosphorus combined with chlorine to produce 27.8 g of a white solid compound. (a) What is the empirical formula of the compound? (b) Assuming that the empirical and molecular formulas of the compound are the same, what is its name?), I found the formula of the compound to be PCl5, but I don't know how to name it. Are there specific rules on how to do this?

lilymayek_1E

Re: F 13

Postby lilymayek_1E » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:08 pm

the name is phosphorus pentachloride. Because this is a molecular compound, typically molecular compounds begin with the original name of the first element (in this case, P, so phosphorus), then the number of the second element (if there is a number greater than 1; there are 5 chlorides here, so you use the prefix penta-), then change the ending of the second element to its respective suffix (in this case -ide). So your name is phosphorus pentachloride. I'd say just review prefix/suffix, molecular/ionic name because it all varies!
*any time there's a number of atoms of a given element greater than 1 in a molecular compound, always use a prefix!*

Kavya Immadisetty 2B
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: F 13

Postby Kavya Immadisetty 2B » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:10 pm

Molecular compounds are just named based on the atom name (the second name ends in -ide) and the number of atoms. So it'd be phosphorus pentachloride

Return to “Molarity, Solutions, Dilutions”