Limiting Reactant problems

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

LeAirraBullingor2k

Limiting Reactant problems

Postby LeAirraBullingor2k » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:53 pm

During lecture, Dr.Lavelle mentioned side reactions and how they will change the yield, will the lost product amount be given or is this just something. we estimate?

Maria Poblete 2C

Re: Limiting Reactant problems

Postby Maria Poblete 2C » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:57 pm

Are you talking about side reactions that are given, or side reactions that occur by chance? I would probably only utilize information that is given in the problem.

Amanda Lin 2I

Postby Amanda Lin 2I » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:58 pm

For problems asking to calculate the percent yield, the actual yield is usually provided in the prompt.

Siya Shah 1J

Postby Siya Shah 1J » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:00 pm

He basically mentioned this just to demonstrate an example of why the actual, experimental yield of a certain reaction may be lower than the theoretical, calculated yield. It's not something we calculate, just a possible justification for the discrepancy between the actual and theoretical yield. If anything, you can find the difference between theoretical and actual yield to see how much product was not produced and calculate the amount of product that was used up in another way.

MingdaH 3B

Postby MingdaH 3B » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:00 pm

If there's ever a need to know the amount of lost product, say to calculate the actual yield, they'll usually just give it to you. Most of the problems that I've seen related to this is just a) what's the percent yield (given actual and predicted yield), and then b) what are some reasons that the actual yield is less than the predicted yield.

Return to “Limiting Reactant Calculations”