Subscripts  [ENDORSED]

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Kelsey Ash 1D

Subscripts

Postby Kelsey Ash 1D » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:40 pm

When balancing chemical equations you can only add/change the coefficient right? You can't change the subscript number? Because I've noticed a few differences in the solutions manual from the textbook and I don't know if there is just a misprint in 1 of the 2 books or if there is a rule that I am unaware of?

Katie Kyan 2K
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Subscripts  [ENDORSED]

Postby Katie Kyan 2K » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:49 pm

Yes for balancing chemical equations you can only change the stoichiometric coefficients. Changing the subscript changes the molecule/compounds within the chemical equation making them different.

Caitlyn Tran 2E

Re: Subscripts

Postby Caitlyn Tran 2E » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:58 pm

Like Kelsey said, you cannot change the subscript numbers of compounds in the chemical equation because that would make the compounds and reaction completely different. These differences between the textbook and solutions manual are likely typos. For example, L.35 had a typo in the third chemical equation of the textbook problem, but it was correct in the solution manual.

EricZhao3G

Re: Subscripts

Postby EricZhao3G » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:37 am

Changing the subscript would change the molecule. The chemical equation has specific molecules and changing them would result in a totally different chemical equation. Any differences in the solutions manual should be a typo or misprint since the only things you can change in order to balance chemical equations are the stoichiometric coefficients.

Return to “Balancing Chemical Reactions”