Energy Level Relationship

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Michelle N - 2C

Energy Level Relationship

Postby Michelle N - 2C » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:25 am

This is a small question that I didn't catch during the lecture, and I haven't done the Audio-Visuals yet which is probably why I'm confused.

What was Professor Lavelle saying about as the energy levels increased, _______ decreases? Thank you!

Jiyoon_Hwang_2I

Re: Energy Level Relationship

Postby Jiyoon_Hwang_2I » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:48 am

He said that as the energy level increased, E (the energy) decreases. Basically as n approaches infinite, E approaches zero. This is because n increasing means the electrons are moving further away from the nucleus, so the interaction between the electrons and the nucleus, E, decreases and approaches zero.

Sarah Zhari 1D

Postby Sarah Zhari 1D » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:08 pm

If an electron moves to a lower energy level, light is emitted. Therefore, the energy change of the electron has decreased or is negative, however, the energy of the photon emitted is positive.

Victoria Li 1L

Postby Victoria Li 1L » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:11 pm

Jiyoon_Hwang_4D wrote:He said that as the energy level increased, E (the energy) decreases. Basically as n approaches infinite, E approaches zero. This is because n increasing means the electrons are moving further away from the nucleus, so the interaction between the electrons and the nucleus, E, decreases and approaches zero.

But doesn't the electron gain energy as it moves to a higher energy level? Which energy decreases as the energy level increases?

Eunice Nguyen 4I

Postby Eunice Nguyen 4I » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:12 pm

Professor Lavelle said that as the energy levels increase, the energy decreases :)

Return to “Properties of Electrons”