Diffraction Pattern

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Junwei Sun 4I

Diffraction Pattern

Postby Junwei Sun 4I » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:20 pm

Could someone please explain what are constructive interference and destructive interference? Thanks.

Junwei Sun 4I

Re: Diffraction Pattern

Postby Junwei Sun 4I » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:28 pm

More specifically what does "in phase" and "out of phase" mean?

VPatankar_2L
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby VPatankar_2L » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:30 pm

Constructive interference refers to waves that are in phase. This means that you can add them to give rise to a larger wave. Destructive interference refers to waves that are out of phase, which means that you can subtract the waves' peaks. If both waves are at their highest peak at a given moment, they are considered to be in-phase. If one wave is at its highest peak (positive) while the other wave is at its lowest peak (negative), at a given moment, they are out of phase.
Last edited by VPatankar_2L on Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lindsey Chheng 1E

Postby Lindsey Chheng 1E » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:31 pm

Junwei Sun 4A wrote:Could someone please explain what are constructive interference and destructive interference? Thanks.

In phase means to interact with

Constructive
-two wavelengths are in phase, that is the peak of one wave is in phase with the peak of the other wave
-together, the two waves result in a larger wave

Destructive Interference
-two waves are out of phase, that is the peak of one wave interacts with the trough (lowest part of the wave) of the other wave
-together, the two waves result in a smaller wave

Return to “Einstein Equation”