Amplitude

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Eileen Si 1G

Amplitude

Postby Eileen Si 1G » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:39 am

I understand that the wavelength and frequency of a wave share an inverse relationship with each other, but does amplitude have anything to do with this relationship as well? In other words, what is the relationship between amplitude and wavelength and amplitude and frequency?

AGulati_4A

Re: Amplitude

Postby AGulati_4A » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:04 am

Amplitude is just how high and conversely how low the wave can go. Thinking about it in an analogical way, if you throw a ball, how high up you throw it doesn't really affect how far it goes in the sideways direction. in the same manner, how high up the amplitude of a wave goes doesn't really reflect what its wavelength will be, or its frequency.

Joanne Kang 3I

Postby Joanne Kang 3I » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:19 am

Since amplitude is not included in the equations that were taught to us, I don't think we should worry about it. Like you said, the most important concept is that as wavelength goes down, frequency goes up and vice versa.

Victoria Li 1L

Postby Victoria Li 1L » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:12 pm

Amplitude isn't all that important for these calculations. However, amplitude of a wave is the same as intensity of light.

KHowe_1D
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby KHowe_1D » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:33 pm

Amplitude is just how high and low the wave goes but this isn't present in the equations we were given in class. I don't think it is as important as wavelength and frequency in this class.

From physics, the amplitude could be calculated using sine, but I don't think we are going to use that in this class.

Callum Guo 1H
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Callum Guo 1H » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:42 pm

Amplitude shouldn't effect your calculations with your given equations.

Maia_Jackson_2C

Postby Maia_Jackson_2C » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:27 pm

The only time I really noticed amplitude making a difference was in constructive and destructive interference, because it seemed to increase in constructive and decrease in destructive.

Megan_1F

Postby Megan_1F » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:58 am

What is the relationship between amplitude and intensity of light?

Sean1F

Postby Sean1F » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:49 pm

Megan_1F wrote:What is the relationship between amplitude and intensity of light?

According to the school Physics website, "The intensity of a wave depends on its energy and the energy varies in a different way from the amplitude.". Hope this helped.

WesleyWu_1C

Postby WesleyWu_1C » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:08 pm

Megan_1F wrote:What is the relationship between amplitude and intensity of light?

Sometime light is described at a wavelike model, and in waves we see that when we increase the amplitude/intensity, we would be increasing the strength of those waves. However, remember that light has both wave like features and particle like features. As shown in the photoelectric effect, when the scientists increased the amplitude/intensity of the light, sometimes they didn't always see any electrons coming out of the metal. The reason for that unusual result was the fact that by increasing the amplitude/intesntiy, you would just be increasing the number of photons. The scientists weren't increasing the actual strength of each photon but just increasing the quantity. We also learned in the lectures that it's always one photon per one electron, so it would make sense that increasing the number of photons doesn't actually do anything if each photon doesn't have enough energy to overcome the threshold energy of each electron.

Siya Shah 1J

Postby Siya Shah 1J » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:15 pm

According to the same website as the comment above,"The intensity of a wave is proportional to the square of its amplitude." It's more of a physics concept so it's not likely that amplitude will be relevant to calculations in this class.

Marykate Abad 3L

Postby Marykate Abad 3L » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:44 pm

I feel that amplitude is focused more in physics and not in chemistry so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

HuyHa_2H

Postby HuyHa_2H » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:42 pm

Amplitude just indicates how high or low the waves themselves travel. But in terms of its relationship to frequency and wavelength, it probably doesn't matter as amplitude isn't present in the equations that we've been using so far.

Return to “Properties of Light”