Final Jitters

This forum topic is for students to self-organize study groups, etc.

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Marina Gollas 1A

Final Jitters

Postby Marina Gollas 1A » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:17 pm

Does anyone know how to calm down your anxieties before you take this final? Since having test anxiety can be very distracting while you're trying to study or even while you're taking the test itself. Open to any tips:)

whitney_2C

Re: Final Jitters

Postby whitney_2C » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:30 pm

I also have test anxiety, it's not fun. Usually just forcing myself to do lots of practice problems and having a routine (eating breakfast, sitting in the front, having a certain pen/calculator, etc whatever works for you) helps give me some comfort so I can relax some at least. Good luck and know you're not alone

Rehan Chinoy 1K

Postby Rehan Chinoy 1K » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:02 pm

Don't study ten minutes before the final because psychologically you're telling yourself that you don't know the material well enough. Be prepared and be confident in your preparation. Some deep breaths before you enter the exam room helps too.

He whose name cannot be spoken

Postby He whose name cannot be spoken » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:10 pm

On the day of the final don't study. Take some time (not much, I imagine, since it's in the morning) to just relax. Don't think about chem until it's in front of you.

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 1253 times

Postby Chem_Mod » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:25 pm

These are some great tips!

Some things I would add:

1) If you ever run into a question you have no idea how to tackle, think about the concept it's trying to test. Try to note anything that you remember about that concept. Usually that tells yourself that you do know something. It just may take some time for you to figure out what to do.
2) If you ever feel the jitters, take a break for a couple minutes and do something you absolutely love, like listening to your favorite song. If during the test, skip the question, and come back to it later. Whenever I take exams and I'm not sure what the answer is to a question, I put down my best guess, mark it, and move on.
3) Meditation is great. It helps calm the nerves and reminds the self that we are all human, and no matter what happens, we will still survive and live on. Although exams are important, if we look back 10-20 years later, I doubt we will remember these exams and the dread that came with them.
4) Call your friends or family members before the exam. Tell them you're nervous, and hopefully, they will provide you some reassuring words/boost your confidence.
5) More academic related things...practice does make perfect. And, just as Whitney mentioned, having a routine does help with the nerves, as you get used to tackling chemistry concepts in a structured manner.

Good luck, all!

Cienna Henry 1J
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Cienna Henry 1J » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:40 pm

Something as simple as focusing on each breath slowly going in and out works wonders

Henry Dudley 1G

Postby Henry Dudley 1G » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:31 pm

One tip I have is to not talk about the material and what you do and don't know right before the test. You're not going to learn anything in just five minutes but you can psych yourself out.

GEOVANNAO_3F

Postby GEOVANNAO_3F » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:21 pm

Rehan Chinoy 1K wrote:Don't study ten minutes before the final because psychologically you're telling yourself that you don't know the material well enough. Be prepared and be confident in your preparation. Some deep breaths before you enter the exam room helps too.

I've always been someone who studies to the very end and reading that kind of made me realize that I subconsciously stress myself more for the exams. Even for test I know i'm prepared for I can't help but worry a little about them. However, I do have some ways that help me ease the stress and that is giving myself 1-2 hours of relaxation or doing something that helps me relax (ex.swimming) before I do some studying. That then helps ease and put me in the right mind space to do some studying.

Julieta Serobyan4D

Postby Julieta Serobyan4D » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:39 pm

I usually listen to music before the exam and try not to think about it. Also, if I know the material well, I am not that nervous. So, yeah practising does help.

SMIYAZAKI_1B

Postby SMIYAZAKI_1B » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:37 am

I used to be on Cross Country team back in my high school years, so I will tell you what I used to do back in my high school days. For me, the best way to calm myself down is to really think about all of the practice problems I have done and all of the preparations I have done. I tend to think, "If, I have done all of these works, I am sure I can do this just fine." Of course, I understand that this always does not work, so at times, I do what I enjoy a lot. I sing at times really loudly, I play video games to change the mood up a bit, it all depends on the person. Overall, there are many ways, but at the end of the day, worrying about a test at 1 AM will not help you. If you studied, I am confident that you can take any test and do really well on it. I totally understand that all of the pressures and stress really does come at the last minute, but I hope you know that you can always believe in your work and effort!

annikaying

Postby annikaying » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:28 pm

Doing practice problems usually helps me for tests. I will also say that jitters before the first test are definitely worse than following tests as you have less of an idea of what to expect. I would just prepare as best as you can and use your experience with the first test to help you study for following exams.

Robert Cross 1A

Postby Robert Cross 1A » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:55 pm

I've always been one to take walks as a part of my studying process. I find it can be helpful in relaxing me, especially when I've been studying for hours at a time. There have been plenty of studies which have revealed the mental and physical benefits of even just a twenty minute stroll. Walking increases blood-flow in the brain, boosts mood, and has been shown to help reduce anxiety. In my experience, walking calms me and allows me to better put everything in perspective. At times, especially around finals, I find that my work feels 'all-consuming', but a walk always helps me to reset and realize that, although exams are important, it often doesn't have as much importance as I often find myself thinking it does. There's more to life than the next test. At the end of the day, all you can do is your best, and walks allow me to reset a bit and get back to my studies more clear-headed than before.

Maddie

Postby Maddie » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:42 pm

I find a few things helpful when it comes to easing some test anxieties. Getting exercise in any form whether it be doing a quick set of jumping jacks or going on a run is usually really helpful in calming me down. I also like to rewrite my notes and make sure I understand everything very clearly as It gives me another opportunity to process the information.

kevinolvera1j

Postby kevinolvera1j » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:27 pm

Definitely make sure to get enough sleep the night before. Lack of sleep could lead to even more stress as you're too tired to perform at your best during the test leading to more test anxiety.

TimVintsDis4L

Postby TimVintsDis4L » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:06 pm

Personally, I just think of the test on the grand scheme of things. If I know the topic, then I will pass. If I don't , then it is on me to study for the test more rather than worry.

Leslie Magana 4C

Postby Leslie Magana 4C » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:21 pm

I struggle a lot with anxiety before a test so I'll definitely be trying out some of these tips!

bellaha4F

Postby bellaha4F » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:33 pm

Anxiety is something I struggle with too! I like to reread and practice problems during the week to make sure I am prepared for the test!

Amanda 3H

Postby Amanda 3H » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:30 am

Study, then realize that you've been preparing for this day all quarter, you've got this! Remember to breathe and take care of yourself.

Jose Robles 1D

Postby Jose Robles 1D » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:16 am

Honestly the advice that an upperclassman gave me, doing a few problems a night(like 5-10, or build up to it), keeps me the loop during discussion and lecture. Simply start applying now so that the test seems less intimidating and you understand the lecture more when new material presents itself.

eduardomorales5

Postby eduardomorales5 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:43 am

Make sure you study repeatedly over a long period of time. Don't cram the night before or that will contribute to your anxieties. Sleep and eat well, and take deep breathes to calm yourself down. Before the test, it is best not to think about it at all to avoid starting up any unnecessary anxiety. When studying, keep it calm without any music or distractions to help create the memory of calmness when taking the test in the future.

Drake Choi_1I

Postby Drake Choi_1I » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:35 am

When studying, is there a schedule anyone here has for breaks? I cannot focus as long as I used to lol and can't figure how long I should study for, when to take breaks, and for how long. Does anyone have tips on how to manage time better while studying?

Tiffany Dong_4e

Postby Tiffany Dong_4e » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:40 pm

I think many people experience test anxiety and that's okay! I usually cope by doing something I enjoy before a test such as playing piano or reading a book. I'm still a first year though so my experience is also limited. I think the best strategy is to simply be prepared. If you feel ready, that should help calm your nerves.

Anvi Brahmbhatt 4A

Postby Anvi Brahmbhatt 4A » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:26 pm

Definitely start studying a while before the exams, and do as many practice problems as you can! Working out problems really helps solidify concepts and makes you prepared. Do not try cramming the night before; it never helps.

Kennya Ramos 1E

Postby Kennya Ramos 1E » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:34 pm

I usually take a bath, a nap, or listen to music. I don't overwhelm myself with studying because instead of learning or reviewing, all I'm doing is stressing myself. However, everyone is different and this may not work for you. Try it out though and see what happens.

MBouwman_4A

Postby MBouwman_4A » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:12 pm

I recommend not studying right before the test starts because it will make you more nervous and also psych you out on the material. I always tell myself that I’ve studied the material well and it helps me feel prepared.

Keerthana Sivathasan 2E

Postby Keerthana Sivathasan 2E » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:29 pm

I personally feel the same way, but I have found several ways to help lessen my anxiety before finals. I always make sure to take breaks in between topics so my mind won't feel so crammed with information, and I like to start studying a little bit in advance to spread out the work. I also make sure to not do cram review sessions the day of the test so I don't freak out and forget something. I usually take time that day before the test to socialize, exercise, eat, and just give myself some calmness.

Lauren Stack 1C

Postby Lauren Stack 1C » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:56 pm

As many of us do, I also struggle with stress/jitters before a large exam. Some of the strategies to cope with it that I have found useful are:
1. Take a break from the material and do something active. I personally like going to the gym or running. It helps me get my mind off of the problems at hand and channel my nervous energy into something productive.
2. Make a review card of just the main few concepts and takeaways from each section. Having a section of the class narrowed down to one notecard allows me to focus on the big concepts, rather than the minute details, which are far more numerous. I only review these few overarching concepts the day of the exam.
3. Listen to calming music while reviewing the material. I often find myself working myself up into a panic about the exam material but having a rhythm helps me remained focused on the material at hand, rather than the quantity of it.
4. Lastly, I always tell myself before I walk into an exam that I have been working hard all term, doing all of the work along the way. This makes me feel more confident in what I know and that I will be able to perform to the best of my ability, whatever that is.

Lauren Tindall

Postby Lauren Tindall » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:19 pm

I also struggle with nerves before a big exam, some of the things I do to prepare include:
1.Getting a good night's sleep before the day of!
2. Having a healthy breakfast
3. Read the material right before class so it is fresh in my mind (and obviously study lots beforehand).
4. Tell myself how I have worked hard all quarter, ect to get to this point and I will do great! Maintain your confidence.

Alexis F 3L

Postby Alexis F 3L » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:44 pm

Hi, I have problems with severe test anxiety. What I've found that helps me is taking a beta blocker known as propanolol. It's really good for physical anxiety symptoms. Like for me personally, I get really shaky and I have trouble concentrating to the point where I have to keep re-reading the question because I'm so freaked out that I can't even read the question. It's prescription only though, my doctor prescribed it to me (also I'm not a doctor yet, this is just my personal experience. ask your doctor first). It's made a world of a difference for me. I can actually focus on the exam now!

Kaylee Sepulveda 4G

Postby Kaylee Sepulveda 4G » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:13 pm

Before the test, you definitely want to make sure you are in the right head space. If you know you have an exam coming up, make an effort to get sleep and eat a good breakfast. Give yourself adequate time to study in advance so you do not feel like you are cramming the night before. Some light review is fine, but you should be familiar with the content the night before the exam.

During the test, if you find yourself struggling, do not dwell on the concept you don't understand. Take a breath, move on, and revisit the idea later. Usually this helps me, because after working through all the problems you do understand, the one you weren't getting will usually click easier.

Merin Padayatty 3G

Postby Merin Padayatty 3G » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:51 pm

One of the most helpful things I've learned over the past couple years on how to ease jitters before exams is to not discuss the content or try to cram in last minute material right before taking the test. Instead, I like to take deep breathes in order to calm myself down and get myself in the right headspace.

JohannaPerezH2F

Postby JohannaPerezH2F » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:54 pm

Usually to calm myself, I like to do something that is fun for me. Either that be I watch a show or go to the gym just to get a breather and forget about all the anxieties. Goodluck

Alan Cornejo 1a

Postby Alan Cornejo 1a » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:58 pm

I think the best way to relax and get rid of the nerves is to just close your eyes and breathe, just focus on good and positive memories and experiences will enhance your mood making you happier, the happier you are the more willing you are to focus and do something, it will also help clear your mind of any negative thoughts pertaining to your current situation and anxiety.

Adelpha Chan 1B

Postby Adelpha Chan 1B » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:48 am

Something that helps me calm down is to make sure I am prepared well in advance. It helps to space out studying throughout the week, or even two weeks, before the test. This allows you to go at a slower and more comfortable pace without any, or at least reduced, time pressure.

Angela Prince 1J

Postby Angela Prince 1J » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:38 pm

What works for me is to study the concepts that I struggle with, just look over the ones I know just to make sure I have them down, but not to psych myself out studying until the last minute. I tend to overstudy, and I've learned over the years that if I take the time just before a test to just relax and not look over the material, I do much better on my tests. When it comes to actually taking the test, just take your time and read the questions slowly and carefully which will allow you to process it better and help you figure out how to go about solving it. If you can't solve a question, just make your best guess, move on, and come back to it if you have time. Just relax, I know you will be fine!! :)

Mitchell Koss 4G

Postby Mitchell Koss 4G » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:53 pm

If you are nervous for any test/quiz/final, whatever it may be, just stay calm. If you pay attention in class, the problems are likely not much different. They may seem different or like you’ve seen them for the first time, but the professor gave you all the skills needed to solve the problem. Trust your gut and you can problem solve. You’ve got this!

Chetas Holagunda 3H

Postby Chetas Holagunda 3H » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:49 am

I would recommend going over problems that have gave you some difficulty and try to understand why those steps are being done. This will let yourself know that you not only know how to solve it, but also why. I would also recommend taking some time off from the books and trying to do something else that you enjoy.

Postby 505106414 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:41 pm

Getting a good night's sleep is huge! If you've been studying for hours, just go to bed!! Give your brain some time to process everything in the meantime.

erica thompson 4I

Postby erica thompson 4I » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:51 pm

Definitely get a lot of sleep! If you are staying up late studying, you are losing sleep and are most likely not really taking in all the information in the later hours anyways. Also remember to sit back and take a deep breath any time you're feeling overwhelmed.

Also, most importantly, put it all in perspective! I literally just failed Test 1 an hour ago and although it sucks, LIFE GOES ON.

KBELTRAMI_1E

Postby KBELTRAMI_1E » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:32 pm

I have this issue and it happened today for a quiz. Honestly just think of it of an assessment of how much you know and try not to anticipate questions having the purpose of confusing you. If you know things, you have the opportunity to demonstrate it. I wish I would have thought of it this way.

Amy Xiao 1I

Postby Amy Xiao 1I » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:22 pm

I took Quiz 1 after running into the room 3 minutes late and I was panicking, but I calmed down and thought out my answers. I would say that the best thing to do is review everything that you need on the syllabus: pen, non-graphing calculator, etc. If something will be given, don't try to remember exactly what the formulas were. Don't try to remember unnecessary information is what I try to do.

Abigail_Hagen2G

Postby Abigail_Hagen2G » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:11 pm

The best thing to do is just prepare as much as you can, and remind yourself that you've done your best. Testing anxiety is the worst, so whenever I get too stressed about it, I just give myself a couple of seconds to stress, and then limit the amount of time I spend worrying over each problem, so that way I don't get bogged down by one.

madeleine_dis1E

Postby madeleine_dis1E » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:02 pm

When I have testing anxiety I try to breathe and bask in the hours of studying and dedication I have put into that test then I try and think about how I will still be myself after the test.

Jacob Villar 2C

Postby Jacob Villar 2C » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:14 pm

I like to let out a big breath before taking the test to help clear my system of anxiety, and often times I'll chew gum because it helps me focus on the material rather than other small things going around in the room, which also saves time for more work on problems.

Jaklin Astvatsatryan

Postby Jaklin Astvatsatryan » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:14 pm

Even though we're only required to submit 5 problems from the book as homework, I recommend doing a few more because the concepts we learn can be applied in different contexts and you want to be prepared for any type of question. Also to help with the anxiety, I chew gum while I take a test, idk why but it helps me focus.

Aman Sankineni 2L

Postby Aman Sankineni 2L » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:33 pm

Getting a good night's sleep is important and helps me with anxiety before tests.

LeAirraBullingor2k

Postby LeAirraBullingor2k » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:55 pm

What eases my anxiety is going through practice problems multiple times to ensure that I fully understand each step and concept. It also helps to take 10-minute study breaks in between to make sure you are not overwhelming yourself with tons of information from the quarter.
Finally, a good thing to remember is that test scores do not equal your value. We are all here to learn and grow as students!

RichBollini4G

Postby RichBollini4G » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:35 pm

Thank you all, this all really helped.

pmokh14B

Postby pmokh14B » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:23 pm

I usually meditate, and work out. and get a lot of sleep.

Milisuryani Santoso 1L

Postby Milisuryani Santoso 1L » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:30 pm

Personally, I like to take a step back from everything and just breathe. On any test, just do your best and even though you don't get the results you wanted, it's not the end of the world and numbers don't define you. All you need to do is see what you can improve on and try again next time!

Areli C 1L

Postby Areli C 1L » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:40 pm

I try to prepare myself as much as possible, and try to get some sleep! Sleep is super important, or try to get little naps here and there so you don't feel like you're lacking.
(lord knows anxiety is a sleep killer).

Elizabeth Harty 1A

Postby Elizabeth Harty 1A » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:49 pm

Its always helpful to get out of studying and do something else for a little like have a snack or go exercise!

Mitchell Koss 4G

Postby Mitchell Koss 4G » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:39 pm

Most effective studying is done over many weeks, not pulling an all night session

Sara Richmond 2K

Postby Sara Richmond 2K » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:26 pm

I find it useful to take a nap before a midterm or final. especially when they are night midterms. To be honest after studying for weeks (like I do for chemistry exams), I can be really distracted and nervous before an exam. By taking a nap, I recharge my brain. But really you will need to find what works for you, remember at the end of the day it is just a grade and it is not reflective of your future success.

Cassandra_1K

Postby Cassandra_1K » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:19 pm

I'm late at responding to this, but I know for this midterm I told myself I knew all the material before going in. I was able to successfully complete a practice exam prior to the official exam. Do some easy problems and just boost that confidence. Controlling your breaths also helps control jitters.

KatherineValdez_4B

Postby KatherineValdez_4B » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:23 pm

Chem_Mod wrote:These are some great tips!

Some things I would add:

1) If you ever run into a question you have no idea how to tackle, think about the concept it's trying to test. Try to note anything that you remember about that concept. Usually that tells yourself that you do know something. It just may take some time for you to figure out what to do.
2) If you ever feel the jitters, take a break for a couple minutes and do something you absolutely love, like listening to your favorite song. If during the test, skip the question, and come back to it later. Whenever I take exams and I'm not sure what the answer is to a question, I put down my best guess, mark it, and move on.
3) Meditation is great. It helps calm the nerves and reminds the self that we are all human, and no matter what happens, we will still survive and live on. Although exams are important, if we look back 10-20 years later, I doubt we will remember these exams and the dread that came with them.
4) Call your friends or family members before the exam. Tell them you're nervous, and hopefully, they will provide you some reassuring words/boost your confidence.
5) More academic related things...practice does make perfect. And, just as Whitney mentioned, having a routine does help with the nerves, as you get used to tackling chemistry concepts in a structured manner.

Good luck, all!

thanks, I need to do this next time.

pJimenez3F

Postby pJimenez3F » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:28 pm

I like to think of doing tests as doing hw in my room

Patricia Cardenas

Postby Patricia Cardenas » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:54 pm

I would say to just talk yourself through a process that calms you down step by step. Make sure you are prepared with your materials beforehand to alleviate stress.

Patricia Cardenas

Postby Patricia Cardenas » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:55 pm

abby_hagen wrote:The best thing to do is just prepare as much as you can, and remind yourself that you've done your best. Testing anxiety is the worst, so whenever I get too stressed about it, I just give myself a couple of seconds to stress, and then limit the amount of time I spend worrying over each problem, so that way I don't get bogged down by one.

This was very helpful, thank you.

Jose Robles 1D

Postby Jose Robles 1D » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:21 pm

I wish to study the midterm for the final, does anyone know if we get it back? Or do we need to meet with our tutor to see it temporarily?

Kendall 3H

Postby Kendall 3H » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:25 pm

I am sure Lavelle and our TA's will cover this in class next week; however, as far as I know, we will get our midterms back before the final and be able to study them without a tutor.

Liliana Aguas 3G

Postby Liliana Aguas 3G » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:29 pm

I always get really bad anxiety during test week to the point where I get sick and throw up or am constantly nauseous. Anyone have ideas for how to help while also being able to study?

Jessica Tejero 3L

Postby Jessica Tejero 3L » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:33 pm

Personally I like to meditate and go over breathing exercises to get myself focused on something else

Postby 505106414 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:35 pm

Liliana Aguas 3G wrote:I always get really bad anxiety during test week to the point where I get sick and throw up or am constantly nauseous. Anyone have ideas for how to help while also being able to study?

You could try meditating and planning little study breaks to look forward to. Also, try to think about tests in the past that you have really stressed about and how little they affected any aspect of your life in the grand scheme of things.

Debora Fernandez Clemente_ 4H

Postby Debora Fernandez Clemente_ 4H » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:32 am

Give yourself enough study time before the final, and therefore before the final just remember how much you studied for it. Taking deep breathes helps calm me down, get enough sleep and you will feel more confident before the final and after it.

Liliana Aguas 3G

Postby Liliana Aguas 3G » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:59 pm

505106414 wrote:
Liliana Aguas 3G wrote:I always get really bad anxiety during test week to the point where I get sick and throw up or am constantly nauseous. Anyone have ideas for how to help while also being able to study?

You could try meditating and planning little study breaks to look forward to. Also, try to think about tests in the past that you have really stressed about and how little they affected any aspect of your life in the grand scheme of things.

Thank you so much maybe I will give it a try! And yes I try that but then when it comes to the moment again I can't for some reason :/

Brian J Cheng 1I

Postby Brian J Cheng 1I » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:15 pm

Get a good night's sleep. Always helps to give your mind some proper rest

claribel charway 1I

Postby claribel charway 1I » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:49 pm

I get test anxiety as well. I recommend not studying at all the day of the final. As terrifying as it sounds it will help you heeled when it comes time for the test. Your brain won’t be overloaded with chem info and it personally helps me feel confident. I try to listen to the same music that I study with the day off or any music that makes me feel happy/is tied to good experiences. Keep around sticky notes with encouraging notes and look at them often to remind yourself that you’ve got this! Most importantly, make sure to hydrate and eat well. Having anxiety while being hungry and/or dehydrated will only worsen the situation. Regardless what happens on the final, you are a very intelligent individual and you deserve to be here. Grades don’t define people so try to not let it consume you. Hope this helps :)

Nare Nazaryan 1F

Postby Nare Nazaryan 1F » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:15 pm

There are many times where anxiety plays a huge factor in a students' performance on an exam, but there are solutions such as studying ahead of time and not cramming for a test, as well as getting enough rest.

Junxi Feng 3B

Postby Junxi Feng 3B » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:46 pm

I think the best way is to do as many problems as you can, and gain confidence in doing so!

Malik Oda 1F

Postby Malik Oda 1F » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:52 pm

Working out really helps and being overconfident to keep a cool mind

Drake Choi_1I

Postby Drake Choi_1I » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:21 pm

Does anyone know when Test 2 will be passed back?

Drake Choi_1I

Postby Drake Choi_1I » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:22 pm

Malik Oda 1F wrote:Working out really helps and being overconfident to keep a cool mind

Yes! Working out also really helps me with stress. :) Keep your mind and body healthy guys!

bloodorangefield

Postby bloodorangefield » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:11 am

Sit, breathe, and tell yourself that you will do well! Even if you don't, I'm sure you tried your best.

Postby 305086803 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:15 am

I try to avoid any high energy drinks the day of the exam and get a lot of sleep. I also don't think you should study the day of and just relax and pretend you didn't have an exam, which is easier said than done. If all else fails, just remember once you finish the exam you're finally done with the course, and that calms me down right away.

Mai V 4L

Postby Mai V 4L » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:13 pm

Avoiding caffeine a couple days prior(it's hard i know) helps a lot for me. Also in the nights prior to testing I fall asleep to binaural relaxation beats, basically they mildly hypnotize you to help you relax. Hope you feel better and kill it on all your test!

Amy Xiao 1I

Postby Amy Xiao 1I » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:38 pm

Get enough sleep the night before and don't cram the day of. Pack all your materials the night before so you don't scramble for it. Eat a good breakfast and give yourself some time to relax before it starts.

Amy Xiao 1I

Postby Amy Xiao 1I » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:39 pm

Drake Choi_1I wrote:Does anyone know when Test 2 will be passed back?

Your TA should have passed it back by now in discussion.

Jessica Tejero 3L

Postby Jessica Tejero 3L » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:41 pm

Yes getting as much studying done as possible is beneficial but remember to take breaks in between so you don't overwhelm yourself.

Jade Hinds 2B

Postby Jade Hinds 2B » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:45 pm

Do some yoga/meditation, take study breaks as needed (maybe try and get off campus for a little if you can)
The best thing to do before an exam is not cloud your mind. We retain information best when we study refreshed and with a good mindset.

Postby 105289321 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:12 pm

Do something relaxing to calm your mind and clear your thoughts

Angela Prince 1J

Postby Angela Prince 1J » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:26 pm

I just try to go over as much as I can without overwhelming myself; when I start to get stressed I just stop and do something I enjoy to distract myself. sometimes I will come back to studying later if I feel I need it.

selatran1h

Postby selatran1h » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:10 am

Go to the final early so you aren't too flustered. If you have trouble with a question, don't sweat it and just come back to it later. Focus on the test itself rather than the final outcome and just try your best!

Nathan Rothschild_2D

Postby Nathan Rothschild_2D » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:38 am

Just believe in yourself. Remember you earned your way into this school, have been in this course all year, and can do this!!! Good luck everyone

Reina Robles 2B

Postby Reina Robles 2B » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:46 am

Test anxiety is a big issue for me and I'd like to thank everyone who gave tips! Here are some of mine (sorry for any repeats):

1. Exercise! Or at least, get moving. I can get incredibly tense while studying, and working out helps relieve that. Keeping your body healthy in general is also helpful in the long run.

2. If you're like me and can get nauseous from anxiety, having a fan blow in your face helps, or you can open a window. Fresh air in general is helpful, which is why people stick their heads out the window when they're car sick.

3. Gum! Gum is an absolute lifesaver for me, and chewing on it helps a lot. Just make sure you chew with your mouth closed, of course!

Good luck, you got this!

Alexis 3F

Postby Alexis 3F » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:00 am

Definitely keeping your studying balanced with relaxing so you don't overwork yourself or make yourself any more anxious.

Oduwole 1E

Postby Oduwole 1E » Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:16 pm

Go over everything we did in lecture and in the textbooks, and you'll be fine.

Cindy Adiwidjaja 1B

Postby Cindy Adiwidjaja 1B » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:08 pm

I honestly find listening to calming music to be really helpful. Listen to some slow and calming music while you study so you do not feel overwhelemd.

Claire Grover 3G

Postby Claire Grover 3G » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:28 pm

I find it helpful to not try to cram too much right before the test, and instead do something relaxing after I've studied enough.

Alan Cornejo 1a

Postby Alan Cornejo 1a » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:58 pm

Being able to be in a relaxed state of mind is the best thing you can do for your self, this can be done through reviewing days ahead in advance to avoid cramming and using the last day to do an easy guide over and to relax and have fun, as having fun and laughing is proven to enhance neural pathways and connections.

AnnikaMittelhauser4E

Postby AnnikaMittelhauser4E » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:42 am

It's a little late for this final - but for future ones, you can try avoiding or reducing caffeine (if you aren't already). Caffeine definitely increases anxiety. If you need the caffeine to study, make sure you don't take it on an empty stomach.

AysiaB1I

Postby AysiaB1I » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:49 pm

I would say to be mindful of your breathing. Our breath controls everything and sometimes when we're anxious we don't breathe as clearly. I find that slowing my inhales and exhales really helps me ground myself and remember that school is not the end all be all.

Postby 605110118 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:05 am

It helps to take 10 minutes before the exam to focus and breathe and just sit. It's very calming and helpful to remember you're more than a test grade.

Megan Kirschner

Postby Megan Kirschner » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:38 pm

I think it's super helpful to get to the exam site early to habituate yourself to the room. It can be off-putting to be in a new room without being familiar with it. I usually go an hour early to sit just scrolling through my phone or meditating. It makes when the test gets put out less scary.

Yailin Romo 4G

Postby Yailin Romo 4G » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:16 pm

I have test anxiety when it comes to chem, I suggest just breathing and doing problems you are confident on and then moving onto ones that are challenging I find this to be very helpful.

CameronDis2K

Postby CameronDis2K » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:27 pm

Always study like you are genuinely learning for fun and not for a test (but be serious). While taking the exam, don't see it as an exam, but as a homework problem thinking you are able to just spill out your ideas... you don't need to be perfect/cookie cutter when answering or thinking about the problem. Always breathe and just think its a test, not life and death, and in the overall picture, it will not affect your future too much :)

Leonardo Le Merle 1D

Postby Leonardo Le Merle 1D » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:27 pm

Try to control your breathing between questions, it will slow your heartrate and calm you down!

Elizabeth Bowen 1J

Postby Elizabeth Bowen 1J » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:52 am

Make sure to start studying a lot in advance so that you have time to do all the practice problems! In my experience, just reading the textbook and doing a few problems isn't enough to really solidify what I've learned, but once I do a ton of practice problems, I 'll know exactly what to do and where to start when I see any problem and feel confident on the assessment. Also, I like to keep a note document of all the common mistakes I make when doing practice problems, then go over it right before tests, so I will be confident that I can avoid my common errors.

Jesse H 2L

Postby Jesse H 2L » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:49 pm

a ridiculous amount of practice problems.

Postby 605136321 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:22 pm

for me a good self care break helps calm the nerves

Return to “Student Social/Study Group”