HW Question 1B.3

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jessica Esparza 2H

HW Question 1B.3

Postby Jessica Esparza 2H » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:16 pm

The answer to the following question is The Photoelectric effect but I am having trouble understanding why. Could someone please explain?

From the following list of observations, select the one that best supports the idea that electromagnetic radiation has the properties of particles. Explain your reasoning.
a) Black-body radiation
b) Electron diffraction
c) Atomic spectra
d) The photoelectric effect."

Kurtis Liang 3I

Re: HW Question 1B.3

Postby Kurtis Liang 3I » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:30 pm

According to the photoelectric effect, light sources with long wavelengths cannot eject electrons, even if they have high intensity. This explains the idea that light acts as a series of packets.

Christine Honda 2I

Re: HW Question 1B.3

Postby Christine Honda 2I » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:37 pm

In the photoelectric experiment, a certain light was used to attempt to eject an electron from a metal. The experiment showed that if the light were a wave, then simply increasing the intensity would increase energy. But, increasing the intensity of the light did not result in ejection. Scientists then tried changing the type of light to a lower wavelength which worked to eject an electron from metal, this proved that light has particle properties. The increase in intensity just increases the number of particles and so you actually need the right energy instead of intensity.

Return to “Photoelectric Effect”