Wave vs particle properties

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Isabel Day 1D

Wave vs particle properties

Postby Isabel Day 1D » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:41 pm

I'm, having a hard time understanding how light can have both wave and particle properties. Do both of these properties exist at the same time? If anybody has a good visual way of thinking about it that would be super helpful.

Kurtis Liang 3I

Re: Wave vs particle properties

Postby Kurtis Liang 3I » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:49 pm

The idea is that light acts as BOTH a wave and a particle. The diffraction of light through a slit explains it's wave-like properties, and the photoelectric effect supports the argument that it can also behave like a packet of light, or a particle. What helped me understand it was looking more into Young's double-slit diffraction experiment.

Ali Polansky 1A
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Ali Polansky 1A » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:53 pm

Yes, both properties exist simultaneously. I found this video to be helpful in explaining the duality of light as a wave and as a particle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1tflE-L2Dc

claudia_1h

Postby claudia_1h » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:59 pm

Yes, light does exhibit both particle-like and wavelike properties. In fact, all objects with momentum p have "wavelike properties" according to the De Broglie wave equation. However, not all particles (like the car example in class) have measurable wavelike behavior. Light can behave like both a particle and a wave, and does exhibit measurable wavelike behavior.

Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby 505306205 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:42 pm

It is also important to remember that equations for electromagnetic radiation (waves) cannot be directly applied to equations for measuring wavelength associated with an electron. For example, the equation: c = lamda x frequency cannot be used to solve for the electron's wavelength. There is a separate equation for that which is lamda = h/p.

Return to “Properties of Light”