Fundamentals Problem Question

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Fundamentals Problem Question

Postby 005343842 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:08 pm

Hi, I'm having a problem understanding the fundamental problem M9. It reads "Copper(II) nitrate reacts with sodium hydroxide to produce a precipitate of light blue copper(II) hydroxide. (a) Write the net ionic equation for the reaction. (b) Calculate the maximum mass of copper(II) hydroxide that can be formed when 2.00 g of sodium hydroxide is added to 80.0 mL of 0.500 m Cu(NO3)2(aq)"

If you understand how to do this problem, please let me know :)

SnehinRajkumar1L

Re: Fundamentals Problem Question

Postby SnehinRajkumar1L » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:42 pm

For this problem, you need two separate equations to answer both parts. For part a, the net ionic equation represents only the ions that participate in the reaction to form the precipitate. So, you would have one with copper and hydroxide on the reactant side, and on the other, the precipitate by itself. For the second part, you need the balanced total chemical equation of the reaction and solve like any other limiting reactant problem. Solve for the moles of both, and find the limiting reactant. Then, use that to find the mass of precipitate produced.

Sophia Shaka 3L
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Fundamentals Problem Question

Postby Sophia Shaka 3L » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:02 pm

Additionally, for net ionic reactions, I find it most helpful to write the complete molecular reaction including the spectator ions, and from there, determine the net ionic equation by eliminating the species that aren't reacting.

Return to “SI Units, Unit Conversions”