Wavelength Emitted

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

GFolk_1D

Wavelength Emitted

Postby GFolk_1D » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:00 pm

Will there always be a positive wavelength of light emitted with e- transitions no matter if it's moving up or down energy levels?

Pegah Nasseri 1K

Re: Wavelength Emitted

Postby Pegah Nasseri 1K » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:06 pm

The wavelength of the light emitted will always be positive and the energy of the photon will be positive as well. However, the change in energy of the electron as it changes states can be negative. The energy is negative when the electron emits energy when moving down energy levels. The absolute value of this energy would equal the energy per photon of the light needed to excite the electron.

Sam McNeill 1E

Postby Sam McNeill 1E » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:19 pm

If the electron is moving up levels, then energy is absorbed, and if the electron is moving down in levels, then energy is released from the atom.

WesleyWu_1C

Postby WesleyWu_1C » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:56 pm

Electromagnetic radiation will only be emitted if the electrons move down from a higher transition level to a lower transition level (ground state). The reason why the energy for this electromagnetic radiation emitted is always positive is because there is a conservation of energy . So when an electron goes down from a higher energy level, it's energy will only become more negative, which means that the energy released/emitted must have a positive value.

Victor James 4I

Postby Victor James 4I » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:33 pm

wavelength is a distance and you can't have a negative distance. thats how I think about it

Return to “Photoelectric Effect”