p- and d- orbitals and zero e- density

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

TYun_1C

p- and d- orbitals and zero e- density

Postby TYun_1C » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:15 am

I'm having some trouble with some of the topics discussed today in lecture. What does Professor Lavelle mean when he says that p- and d- orbitals have nodal planes and therefore have zero e- density and non-symmetric e- distributions? He also mentioned that s- orbitals have no nodal planes so they have symmetric e- distributions. Thank you!

Re: p- and d- orbitals and zero e- density

Postby 405335722 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:25 am

To explain the symmetry aspect (I am confused about the density part as well),

the s orbital has symmetry because it is in the shape of a sphere so any way you cut it/look at it, it will be the same meaning the electrons will be in that vicinity

the p and d orbitals do not have symmetry because their shapes, as identified by wave functions, are in nodal planes. So, they could not have symmetry because they are not spherical.

Looking up the shapes online always helps me too so I can physically see it and not have to imagine it.

TYun_1C

Postby TYun_1C » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:26 pm

That you for the clarification, it helped a lot! If anyone could explain the zero density stuff, it'd be very helpful. Thank you!

Amir Bayat

Postby Amir Bayat » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:56 pm

This statement is accurate, the images online can help clarify this confusion. The symmetry of the orbitals can be seen on the graphs, and it is observed that the s orbital is purely symmetrical while the other orbitals are not.

405335722 wrote:To explain the symmetry aspect (I am confused about the density part as well),

the s orbital has symmetry because it is in the shape of a sphere so any way you cut it/look at it, it will be the same meaning the electrons will be in that vicinity

the p and d orbitals do not have symmetry because their shapes, as identified by wave functions, are in nodal planes. So, they could not have symmetry because they are not spherical.

Looking up the shapes online always helps me too so I can physically see it and not have to imagine it.

BNgo_2L

Postby BNgo_2L » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:25 pm

Electron density is basically the probability of finding an electron in the region in question. Because electrons tend to be found in higher electron density, a region with zero electron density has probability of close to zero of finding an electron in said region.

TYun_1C

Postby TYun_1C » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:09 pm

Thank you everyone for the clarification!!

Return to “Electron Configurations for Multi-Electron Atoms”