How to Name Electron Configurations

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Brittney Hun 2C

How to Name Electron Configurations

Postby Brittney Hun 2C » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:47 pm

I'm not entirely sure how to write the electron configurations using previous elements on the periodic table. How do we know when to use the previous elements.

Eunice Nguyen 4I

Re: How to Name Electron Configurations

Postby Eunice Nguyen 4I » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:54 pm

Whenever you have to write the electron configuration using previous elements, the question will say "noble gas configuration". You only use the noble gases when "using previous elements" in the configuration.
So for example, the electron configuration for the element Chlorine is 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p5, but the noble gas configuration is [Ne] 3s2 3p5.
Basically shorthand electron configurations.

claudia_1h

Postby claudia_1h » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:03 pm

You don't necessarily "know" when to use the previous element- it can just be more convenient if you are trying to write the electron configuration for an element with many electrons. Using noble gas configuration eliminates a lot of the writing and allows you to only write the valence electron configurations, which is what matters for bonding anyways.

KMenjivar_3A

Postby KMenjivar_3A » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:37 pm

When it comes to using previous elements in electron configurations, one will need to use the noble gases category since their orbitals are filled. Other than that, the long form is efficient.

Katherine Chhen 3I

Postby Katherine Chhen 3I » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:14 pm

I believe you use previous elements on the periodic table when the question asks for a noble gas configuration.

Reagan Smith 1H

Postby Reagan Smith 1H » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:44 pm

I believe both ways will be sufficient in the class but to find out what element you use to write the shorthand version, you use the noble gas (the elements in the rightmost columns on the periodic table) that is in the row above the element you are writing the configuration for.

Return to “Electron Configurations for Multi-Electron Atoms”