Hund's Rule

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Joanne Kang 3I

Hund's Rule

Postby Joanne Kang 3I » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:51 pm

Can someone reiterate Hund's rule and summarize its main point/why it's important please?

WYacob_2C

Re: Hund's Rule

Postby WYacob_2C » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:06 pm

Hund's rule says that electrons at the same energy level occupy different orbitals before pairing up. This is due to the fact that electrons are all negatively charged, meaning they repel each other, so they would rather be in a separate, empty orbital if it's available. Once each orbital has an electron, and there are more to be stored, they would then double up.
You can also think of it as a bus. When you get on the bus, you tend to sit somewhere empty or where there are no people. At some point, the bus is going to get full. Typically, this is when you would sit next to a stranger. In this scenario, we are the electrons; we occupy different "orbitals" (seats) before "pairing up" (sitting next to someone).

Julia Mazzucato 4D

Postby Julia Mazzucato 4D » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:21 pm

I believe Dr. Lavelle also said that the electrons choose to occupy different orbitals before pairing up because they are more stable this way.

Megan Cao 1I

Postby Megan Cao 1I » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:27 am

Hund's rule basically says electrons will fill different orbitals separately than before pairing up. since they are of the same charge they want to repel each other. the electrons are going to do this because they want to be of the lowest energy

Kaitlyn Jang 1F

Postby Kaitlyn Jang 1F » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:01 am

Hund's Rule states that electrons try to fill up orbitals separately and only pair when necessary because the like negative charges tend to repel. Think of it like this, if you have a sibling who was annoying you, you wouldn't share a room with them unless you absolutely had to; electrons are the same way.

Return to “Electron Configurations for Multi-Electron Atoms”