Hund's Rule

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jessica Tejero 3L

Hund's Rule

Postby Jessica Tejero 3L » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:10 pm

When writing an electron configuration how does the Hund's rule come in? Is it only when more than one orbital in a subshell is available? Or is it when their spin numbers are paired?

JamieVu_2C

Re: Hund's Rule

Postby JamieVu_2C » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:33 pm

Hund's rule basically states that for a subshell with multiple orbitals, then you fill each orbital with one electron first before you fill a single orbital with two electrons. So for example, when you're filling in the p-orbitals, you fill up the px-, py-, and pz-orbitals with one electron each before you fill up the px-orbital with two electrons. The spin numbers are paired when you're filling up the separate orbitals with one electron.

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 1253 times

Postby Chem_Mod » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:34 pm

Hund's rule is filling out orbitals with single same spin electrons before you pair them up in the same orbital. Pauli exclusion principle relates to 2 electrons in the same orbitals must have opposite spins.

Vivianvelazquez_1J
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Vivianvelazquez_1J » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:38 pm

I'm not sure if I completely understand the question but what I know about Hund's rule is that every orbital in a sublevel is singly occupied before any orbital is doubly occupied. All of the electrons in singly occupied orbitals have the same spin (to maximize total spin).

Return to “Wave Functions and s-, p-, d-, f- Orbitals”