Stern and Gerlach Experiment: Electron Spin

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jessica Luong 3K

Stern and Gerlach Experiment: Electron Spin

Postby Jessica Luong 3K » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:32 pm

Hi, can someone re-explain to me the "stern and gerlach experiment: electron spin" from class? I didn't quite understand the concept.

chemboi

Re: Stern and Gerlach Experiment: Electron Spin

Postby chemboi » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:41 pm

I believe the setup for the experiment was using silver atoms, passed through a magnetic field. These neutral silver atoms have an unpaired electron, in the 5s state I believe. If there was no spin on the electrons to interact with the magnetic field, one would expect a majority of the silver atoms to end up pretty much directly at the end of the path they were shot down, with little deflection. Instead, what was observed was that there were two groups of silver atoms on the detection screen. This indicates some sort of interaction with the magnetic field, which led to the recognition of electrons having spin.

RasikaObla_4I

Postby RasikaObla_4I » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:47 pm

The Stern and Gerlach experiment revealed how electrons don't have the same spin which differed from the classical prediction. Since electrons can be spun up or down, we use a 4th quantum number, ms which is the spin magnetic number.

Juliet Stephenson 4E

Postby Juliet Stephenson 4E » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:59 pm

Is there a good way to visualize spin? Are electrons actually spinning in the magnetic field? Or is it some other quality that can't be visualized?

Return to “Wave Functions and s-, p-, d-, f- Orbitals”