Wave Function and Uncertainty

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Diana A 2L
Been upvoted: 1 time

Wave Function and Uncertainty

Postby Diana A 2L » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:35 pm

This is more of a bigger question, conceptual question, but am I understanding this right? Basically, the uncertainty principle and the wave function are both different methods to finding out the locations of electrons in an atom and their distance from the nucleus (or which energy level they are located in). Is that a correct interpretation of the two concepts?

Connor Ho 1B

Re: Wave Function and Uncertainty

Postby Connor Ho 1B » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:38 pm

From my understanding, the Uncertainty principle basically explains that we cannot know the exact location or speed of an electron in an electron cloud. The wave function, however, helps to define the energy level (in the case of gen chem), like you said in the post. I don't believe the uncertainty principle has much to do with the energy level from my undertstanding, however, only the location and speed of an electron.

Diana A 2L
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Diana A 2L » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:02 am

Okay that makes sense. But what do you mean by location? Location in terms of which orbital?

Sean Cheah 1E

Postby Sean Cheah 1E » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:08 am

If my understanding is correct, the squared absolute value (well, technically modulus but I won't get into that) of the wave function describes the probability density of observing an electron in the orbital described by the function, essentially how likely you are to find an electron at any given time and location. The 3d regions that you see in orbital diagrams are simply visual representations of regions where electrons are likely to be found (where the probability density has some constant value).

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle complements this quantum model by stating that the more precisely the location of an electron is determined, the less precisely its momentum (mass * velocity) can be known. This uncertainty is the reason why the quantum model describes electron locations using wave functions and probability densities. These formulas do not tell you the exact location of an electron but rather give you a region (an orbital) where an electron can likely be found.

Return to “Wave Functions and s-, p-, d-, f- Orbitals”