Z

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

rachelle1K

Z

Postby rachelle1K » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:06 pm

What is the significance of the number Z?
Last edited by rachelle1K on Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Max Madrzyk Dis 4G

Re: Quantum Number Z

Postby Max Madrzyk Dis 4G » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:08 pm

The quantum number Z represents the angular component to the momentum of the orbital.

Abbey Brandt 1K

Postby Abbey Brandt 1K » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:47 am

Hi,

To my understanding, Z is not one of the four types of quantum numbers [those are principal quantum number (n), the orbital angular momentum quantum number (l), the magnetic quantum number (ml), and the electron spin quantum number (ms)]. Z, in this context, is involved with the quantum number m and, according to my research, " refers to the projection of the angular momentum" in the z direction or quantization axis. In other words, "Lz, the magnitude of the angular momentum in the z direction." Research the Zeeman Effect for further explanation of this concept! I hope this helps.

Sean Cheah 1E

Postby Sean Cheah 1E » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:39 am

Abbey Brandt 1K wrote:Hi,

To my understanding, Z is not one of the four types of quantum numbers [those are principal quantum number (n), the orbital angular momentum quantum number (l), the magnetic quantum number (ml), and the electron spin quantum number (ms)]. Z, in this context, is involved with the quantum number m and, according to my research, " refers to the projection of the angular momentum" in the z direction or quantization axis. In other words, "Lz, the magnitude of the angular momentum in the z direction." Research the Zeeman Effect for further explanation of this concept! I hope this helps.

Yeah I'm confused by this question as well. I am not aware of any quantum number represented by the letter Z and a quick Google search just yields what you've posted here, namely that the letter z is sometimes used as a subscript to denote the projection of various quantum quantities (including orbital angular momentum and spin angular momentum) along the z-axis.

Nicholas Chin 1G

Postby Nicholas Chin 1G » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:45 am

We have not learned about a quantum number Z, but the letter Z can represent the nuclear charge of an atom.

Sam McNeill 1E

Postby Sam McNeill 1E » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:29 am

I believe that Z is equal to the number of electrons in an atom, at least this is how it was used in the lecture Dr. Lavelle gave examples in.

Return to “Quantum Numbers and The H-Atom”