Ionic Compounds

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

annikaying

Ionic Compounds

Postby annikaying » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:13 pm

Are ionic compounds actually bonded and if so how? I understand e are being transferred but how does this transfer differ from a covalent bond in which they are shared?

kpang_4H

Re: Ionic Compounds

Postby kpang_4H » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:19 pm

In ionic compounds, the anions transfer electrons to cations, which are lacking, so that both atoms achieve a noble gas like configuration. As for covalent bonds, the electrons are simply shared, meaning that electrons are not given into the other atom unlike in ionic bonds.

EMurphy_2L

Postby EMurphy_2L » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:48 pm

Ionic and covalent structures are bonded in the same exact way and in both there is a consistent number of electrons however the difference is that they are either transferred or shared. Like if I had 9 electrons and you had 7 and we both wanted 8 I would just give you one but if we both had 7 we could just share one of ours (that's a really bad analogy but). The thing to keep in mind is that when an electron is transferred in an ionic compound, it's not just thrown between atoms and then they separate, they are still bonded together by this transaction.

To clarify the previous response: anions do NOT transfer electrons to cations, atoms either gain or lose electrons to become an anion or cation (respectively) but are never considered to be an ion naturally.

I hope this helps!

Arvind 4G
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Arvind 4G » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:25 am

Yes, one electron is given creating a cation while another atom receives an electron creating an anion. These are attracted to each other like magnets keeping the atoms bonded.

TheresaDsilva4A

Postby TheresaDsilva4A » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:34 am

Just to add on to the previous replies, the cations and anions of an ionic compound are bonded together in a crystalline formation (I think of a cube). So, that's basically rows of alternating cations (+) and anions (-) attached to each other. Hope this helps you get a better picture of how ionic bonds look!

Rhea Shah 2F

Postby Rhea Shah 2F » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:36 pm

Ionic compounds are often between a metal and a nonmetal, in which the metal gives electrons to the nonmetal in order for both elements to obtain a completely filled outer shell. Covalent bonds are between two nonmetals, and in these, electrons are shared, meaning the two electrons in the covalent bonds belong to both atoms being bonded. This is different than ionic because in ionic bonds, the electrons that are transferred belong to only one atom, not to both.

KaitlynBali_4B

Postby KaitlynBali_4B » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:13 pm

To add on, an ionic solid is not held together by the bonds between specific pairs of ions (like how covalent bonds are bonds between two atoms). All of the anions and cations react with one another to form a solid. The book describes it as a "global interaction" between all of the cations and all of the anions. All of the cations repel each other and all of the anions repel each other, but they arrange themselves in a way to form a stable solid with a low net energy.

Return to “Ionic & Covalent Bonds”