Effective Nuclear Charge

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Sean Sugai 4E

Effective Nuclear Charge

Postby Sean Sugai 4E » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:27 pm

In multi-electron atoms, each electron is repelled by other present electrons. How do more electrons affect shielding and nuclear attraction?

katrinawong3d

Re: Effective Nuclear Charge

Postby katrinawong3d » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:38 pm

The more electrons there are, the greater the shielding effect on the outermost electrons. So, since there are more electrons to repel each other, the attraction between an electron and the nucleus (nuclear attraction) decreases.

Siddiq 1E

Postby Siddiq 1E » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:09 pm

What is the relationship between effective nuclear charge and ionization energy?

Elena Bell 1C

Postby Elena Bell 1C » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:43 pm

Effective nuclear charge affects ionization energy because more protons and pull the electrons closer to the nucleus and make it harder to remove electrons.

John Arambulo 1I

Postby John Arambulo 1I » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:54 pm

Yes, a higher number of electrons results in an increase in shielding and a decrease in effective nuclear charge. This is because an increased number of electrons between an atom's positive nucleus and the atom's valence electrons results in both increased attraction between the internal electrons and the nucleus as well as increased electron-electron repulsion (i.e. increased shielding). Because of this, it's almost like the nucleus has "less positive charge" that can effectively interact with the outer electrons... a decrease in effective nuclear charge due to an increase in shielding.

Return to “Electron Configurations for Multi-Electron Atoms”