Photoelectric Effect vs. De Broglie

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

rachelle1K

Photoelectric Effect vs. De Broglie

Postby rachelle1K » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:47 pm

How do you know when do differentiate if you should use the speed of light equation or De Broglie?

Deana Moghaddas 3E

Re: Photoelectric Effect vs. De Broglie

Postby Deana Moghaddas 3E » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:50 pm

speed of light can only be used for light/photons while de bregolie can be used with other types of particles

kevinolvera1j

Postby kevinolvera1j » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:21 pm

The speed of light equation can only be used for Electromagnetic radiation since that equation, c=vλ is based on the propagation wave speed formula for values specific to light. The De Broglie equation is used for particles with momentum which means it is used for particles with mass, e.g. electrons, neutrons, and protons.

Micah3J

Postby Micah3J » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:32 pm

Do we use the De Broglie equation for the midterm review question 13a?

Justin Vayakone 1C

Postby Justin Vayakone 1C » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:46 pm

Micah3J wrote:Do we use the De Broglie equation for the midterm review question 13a?

Yes we do. We know this because we are using the wavelength of a potassium ion, which has mass. The speed of light equation on the other hand would be used for situations involving electromagnetic radiation, like light or UV rays. For 13a, the De Broglie equation is the right equation to use.

Micah3J

Postby Micah3J » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:01 pm

Justin Vayakone 4H wrote:
Micah3J wrote:Do we use the De Broglie equation for the midterm review question 13a?

Yes we do. We know this because we are using the wavelength of a potassium ion, which has mass. The speed of light equation on the other hand would be used for situations involving electromagnetic radiation, like light or UV rays. For 13a, the De Broglie equation is the right equation to use.

Thank you. Also for the mass of the potassium ion, I need the units in kgs right? For some reason I am not getting the same answer as the answer key

Justin Vayakone 1C

Postby Justin Vayakone 1C » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:35 pm

Micah3J wrote:
Justin Vayakone 4H wrote:

Thank you. Also for the mass of the potassium ion, I need the units in kgs right? For some reason I am not getting the same answer as the answer key

Yes the mass should be in kg because h (Planck's constant) is in J*s. . To cancel the kg from h, the mass will have to be kg.

Elizabeth Harty 1A

Postby Elizabeth Harty 1A » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:28 pm

I thought that the units for joules had the second to the power of negative 2?

Lauren Lewis3L

Postby Lauren Lewis3L » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:07 pm

Usually whenever I hear photon in a question or threshold energy, I immediately got to the photoelectric equations. These equations being the one for Kinetic Energy (1/2 m(v)^2). It is important to understand that velocity value is the only thing being squared and not the entire equation.

Return to “Photoelectric Effect”