Dipole Arrows

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

ckilkeary 2G

Dipole Arrows

Postby ckilkeary 2G » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:48 am

In the book (for reference on page 96) they gave two ways that a dipole is represented. They said that in the original convention the dipole was represented by an arrow pointing to the negative dipole charge. However they said more modernly the arrow points to the positive charge. Which convention does Lavelle use, the original one with the dipole pointing towards the negative charge or the more modern with dipole pointing towards the positive charge?

Sarah Blake-2I

Re: Dipole Arrows

Postby Sarah Blake-2I » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:01 am

Lavelle uses the original way of having the arrow point towards the negative charge as the negative ion will have more pulling power. The other arrow drawing method is more used in physics than chemistry.

Cooper Baddley 1F

Re: Dipole Arrows

Postby Cooper Baddley 1F » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:04 am

Lavelle has only mentioned the original convention with the arrow pointing towards the negative charge in class so I would say it's safe to stick with that one.

Return to “Interionic and Intermolecular Forces (Ion-Ion, Ion-Dipole, Dipole-Dipole, Dipole-Induced Dipole, Dispersion/Induced Dipole-Induced Dipole/London Forces, Hydrogen Bonding)”