Ionization energy and electronegativity

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

salvadorramos3k

Ionization energy and electronegativity

Postby salvadorramos3k » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:31 am

What is the relationship between ionization energy and electronegativity? Are they like the same thing or what differentiates them? Also, what are the periodic trends associated with these terms again?

Christine Honda 2I

Re: Ionization energy and electronegativity

Postby Christine Honda 2I » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:35 am

Electronegativity is a measurement of a neutral atom's likelihood of gaining an electron.
Ionization energy is the minimum energy required to remove a valence electron.
Both of these have the trend of increasing going towards the right and increasing going up the periodic table.

Jorja De Jesus 2C

Postby Jorja De Jesus 2C » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:53 am

Ionization energy and electron negativity (and electron affinity and atomic radius) are involved in what an atom does to its electrons when it becomes bonded with another atom. They are two different things but they follow the same trend. Ionization energy is the energy required to remove an electron from an atom while electronegativity how strongly an element tends to pull shared electrons toward itself when it is in a bond. For ionization energy, as you go left to right on the periodic table ionization energy increases, and as you go top to bottom on the periodic table, ionization energy decreases. For electronegativity, as you go left to right on the periodic table electronegativity increases, and as you go top to bottom on the periodic table, electronegativity decreases.

Kevin Liu 1J

Postby Kevin Liu 1J » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:32 pm

Both ionization energy and electronegativity are related with ionization energy referring to how much energy is needed to remove an electron, while electronegativity refers to the relative strength of the pull of shared electrons unequally within a bond.

Sanjana Munagala_1j
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Sanjana Munagala_1j » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:48 am

It might also be helpful to know that electronegativity refers to an atom's electron pulling power when bonded with another atom. For ionization energy, it is just the energy required to remove an electron from the single atom itself.

Hope this helps to distinguish the two!

Timmy Nguyen Dis 1I

Postby Timmy Nguyen Dis 1I » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:16 pm

electronegativity is usually a combination of ionization energy and electron affinity. That's why they usually have the same periodic trends.

Katherine Chhen 3I

Postby Katherine Chhen 3I » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:59 pm

Would the ionization and electronegativity trend be the same on the periodic table?

April Meza 3K

Postby April Meza 3K » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:00 pm

Yes. The trends for ionization energy, electron affinity and electronegativity are the same.

Maya Gollamudi 1G

Postby Maya Gollamudi 1G » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:30 pm

The trends for ionization energy and electronegativity in the periodic table increase across a period and down a group. Ionization energy is the energy it takes to remove a valence electron from an atom. Electronegativity measures how much the atom is able to attract electrons.

Return to “Electronegativity”