Dipole-Dipole Moments

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

KNguyen_1I

Dipole-Dipole Moments

Postby KNguyen_1I » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:48 pm

The larger the molecule means a greater amount of electrons to be polarized, and therefore a stronger induced dipole-dipole moment?

Alex Hitti 3E

Re: Dipole-Dipole Moments

Postby Alex Hitti 3E » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:51 pm

The larger the molecule means a greater amount of electrons to be polarized, and therefore a stronger induced dipole-dipole moment?

Yes, the molecular size is proportional to the strength of the dipole moment. As one increases, so does the others.

Postby 205296774 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:00 pm

Yes, the dipole-dipole moment is dependent on the difference in electronegativity and the ability to be polarized. Atoms with a high electronegativity and therefore smaller radius have a stronger polarizing power to distort something else with a larger radius and lower electronegativity. (The electrons are less tightly packed and susceptible to change).

So, the greater the difference in EN or radius, the greater the polarization, and the greater the dipole-dipole moment.

JinwooLee_1F

Postby JinwooLee_1F » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:16 pm

I think IMF for induced-dipole-dipole is proportional to polarizability, which is affected by size and charge. So greater the size, greater the IMF for for induced-dipole-dipole.

Return to “Interionic and Intermolecular Forces (Ion-Ion, Ion-Dipole, Dipole-Dipole, Dipole-Induced Dipole, Dispersion/Induced Dipole-Induced Dipole/London Forces, Hydrogen Bonding)”